The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old October 14, 2013, 06:33 PM   #1
Tom Servo
Staff

Bloomberg's True Colors

Remember last month's successful recalls in Colorado? A third recall, this one for Denver Senator Evie Hudak, is now building steam. This time around, Governor Hickenloper is asking Michael Bloomberg and other sympathetic interests to stay out of the fray.

The question is, why? According to Hickenloper, Coloradans are suspicious of "outside influences."

A more likely explanation is that he's realized those "outside influences" aren't as potent as they'd promised earlier in the year. The last round of recalls proved that Michael Bloomberg's money and clout weren't as potent a safety net as he'd promised.

Bloomberg has taken a rather cavalier tone on the issue, stating:

Quote:
What do you mean we lost? I’m sorry for those two people. But we won in Colorado. On to the next state.
The lesson is that Bloomberg doesn't care about allies. He cares about an agenda, and he'll throw anyone under the bus he feels the need to. He promised plenty of legislators, on both state and federal levels, that he'd protect them. He claimed that a vote for gun control was not only safe, but that it was the only safe vote.

If Hudak loses to a Republican, the balance of power in the Senate shifts red, and there's a real chance of repealing all three bills.
Old October 14, 2013, 08:05 PM   #2
MikeG

I think a lot of Coloradoans were certain the gun control bills were inspired, if not dictated by outside influences. We saw Biden calling politicians in our state legislature, and Bloomberg sent lobbyists and money to influence them.
But the ideas Bloomberg pushes aren't even good for NYC, let alone Colorado.

I believe the Colorado bills were meant to lend support to the National gun control effort, and when it failed nationally, left the Colorado politicians without cover.

The repercussions may not be over yet. One Colorado Springs TV station has been running a poll on their news web site. The question is whether people want Hickenlooper reelected. With a sample of around 550, its running 86% NO.
Old October 14, 2013, 08:18 PM   #3
M1ke10191

If Colorado was to shift red, would that be enough to repeal the recent legislation? I'd imagine it would be much more in-depth than just a majority switch.
Old October 14, 2013, 08:30 PM   #4
speedrrracer

In a sense Bloomberg is correct -- the laws are on the books, so he did "win".

Also, one must (attempt to) understand the magnitude of the ego that goes along with being one of the wealthiest men in the history of civilization. Acknowledging a loss is not something he is going to do lightly.

I just hope his attitude galvanizes enough Coloradans so they are able to recall Hudak, and repeal the legislation.
Old October 14, 2013, 09:03 PM   #5
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
If Colorado was to shift red, would that be enough to repeal the recent legislation?
Not with Hickeloper still in power. Remember, this is the guy who was willing to let his state absorb a ~$100 million dollar economic loss when Magpul moved out.

If he's replaced, and the legislature shifts, then there's a chance.
Old October 14, 2013, 10:26 PM   #6
iraiam

I doubt Hick would sign a repeal, but he may be willing to sign modifications to the laws in an attempt so save is hide from a vengeful electorate.

In the past there were concessions made by Denver Democrats (City and County), they basically backed off of their gun control quite a bit to save some of their gun laws from state legislation, the mayor at the time Wellington Webb was eager to deal, because he knew that Denver is not a big enough anti-gun stronghold to run the rest of the state if the chips really got laid down. Clearly, given recent recalls, things have not changed as much as I thought.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason
Old October 14, 2013, 10:55 PM   #7
Hiker 1

I doubt Hick would sign a repeal, but he may be willing to sign modifications to the laws in an attempt so save is hide from a vengeful electorate.

Exactly. He knows which way the winds are blowing: "Colorado is a state that people like to be themselves and solve their own problems," the Democratic governor said in an interview with Capital Download, USA TODAY's weekly video newsmaker series.
Old October 14, 2013, 10:58 PM   #8
Hiker 1

MikeG nailed it here: I believe the Colorado bills were meant to lend support to the National gun control effort, and when it failed nationally, left the Colorado politicians without cover.

I suspect Hick was also offered some kind of reward for toeing the Washington DC line, perhaps an ambassadorship or something. With Washington being an open air asylum these days and the administration looking hapless at best, he may see his future is in Colorado, not DC.
Old October 15, 2013, 04:26 PM   #9
doofus47

I can't imagine anyone who saw Evie H's interrogation of the woman citizen cc'er could possibly not want to recall her.
Really? B/c the gov't thinks the odds are against you defending yourself, we're going to make defending yourself harder. GAHH! drives me batty to hear drivel like that.
I also find it amazing that the state senator/reps in Magpul's district are not facing recall.

Hickenlooper has been quietly making himself a disappointment to most demographics. Hopefully, he will exit stage left in the next go round.
Old October 16, 2013, 09:35 AM   #10
Hiker 1

Hickenlooper has been quietly making himself a disappointment to most demographics.

Yep, the environmentalists hate his position on fracking, the pro-gun people hate his position on guns.
Old October 16, 2013, 09:57 AM   #11
JERRYS.

Quote:
In a sense Bloomberg is correct -- the laws are on the books, so he did "win".
this is correct, Bloomberg wont be happy until his name is attached to national legislation that takes away another gun right based on a misdemeanor crime where no violence has actually occurred: like laughtenberg did.