The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old May 11, 2013, 12:57 AM   #1
Theohazard

One of the best gun control articles I've ever read...

This is one of the best gun control articles I've ever read:

http://kontradictions.wordpress.com/...to-get-better/

And the article is even more poignant because it's written by the type of person who - based on their overall political leanings - would normally support gun control.

Here are my favorite quotes from the article:

Quote:
Allow me this humble suggestion: The best way to convince the American public that you’re not interested in taking guns away is to stop talking about taking guns away.
Quote:
New rule: If you don’t know how guns work, you don’t get to craft legislation about them.
Quote:
[Michael Bloomberg] doesn’t know how guns operate. He doesn’t understand basic terminology. He doesn’t know what an “assault weapon” is, even though he supposedly was involved in drafting legislation. How is this possible? And how is it possible that we who actually understand the topic are supposed to cede to his judgement on it?
Old May 11, 2013, 12:26 PM   #2
shaunpain

I've read this article before months ago and was impressed with it. I don't think it will change many minds, though. For what it's worth, I've never seen anything even resembling a sensical and academic argument against guns.
Old May 11, 2013, 03:40 PM   #3
Hook686

Quote:
I've never seen anything even resembling a sensical and academic argument against guns.
How about, 'People are no dam good.' A quote my dad (30 year USAF officer (ret)) often used.

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.
Old May 12, 2013, 04:45 PM   #4
richardcorey

I guess I'm just becoming Old & Grouchy but what I have noticed over the years is that most gun-control measures are based more on hearsay and emotion rather than anything that resembles fact or even good sense.
The best I can relate to is that if a drunk driver runs a red light and crashes into a school house who is to blame??? In the thought process of gun-control it would not be the poor mis-understood drunk driver BUT it would be the CAR that should be seized, cut up for scrap and outlawed from the public.
To me gun-control and good sense are what is called an Oxymoron (two words or phrases that contradict each other. Nuff said.
LISTEN!!!
Old May 12, 2013, 10:29 PM   #5
22-rimfire

I hadn't read that article and thanks for posting links and starting this thread.

I think the author is right on target. American people are often ruled by emotion, but unless they pulled the stunt that NY did with gun control nationally, facts and common sense prevail.

The background check legislation was one that I was most concerned about. The President intends to revisit this legislation. This legislation was primarily driven by emotion and "common sense" of non-gun owners. But the supporters did not present the facts. Why? Politics of course.

Why are many people so fed up with politics? You can't believe most of the politicians any more. Everything is an agenda for some underlying purpose that is not stated. The honest politicans get the same rap because of the majority. But everything is issue driven and honest and honerable politicians become dishonest agenda driven proponets on another. At least Feinstein is honest about her objectives on gun control.

Last edited by Evan Thomas; May 12, 2013 at 10:42 PM. Reason: removed off-topic material.
Old May 13, 2013, 02:07 PM   #6
Skans

Quote:
the background check legislation was one that I was most concerned about.
I think the current administration will have enough explaining to do on the IRS targeting conservative groups, that expanded background checks will be off the table for awhile. People are going to be very suspicious of any new laws where the government gets to collect sensitive information on citizens that can be used to damage people politically.