The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 11, 2011, 11:53 AM   #1
LadyLuck

Questions for Kahr CW9 owners

I'd like your input on two things:

1) Do you have a grip recommendation? I'm thinking about a Hogue Handall Jr.

2) Just curious: What's your favorite ammo to put through your CW9?

Thanks in advance!
Old November 11, 2011, 04:18 PM   #2
GURU1911

Your question

Like many hundreds of questions in our forum, yours is almost unanswerable as it is subjective in nature. However, i will respond:

1. The hogue rubber / nylon grips will make any auto pistol or revolver much more comfortable to shoot.

2. Whatever brand feeds & ejects 100% of the time in your pistol. "hornady custom" is awesome in the majority instances i have witnessed.

Guru1911

"THERE AIN'T TOO MANY THINGS THAT YOU CAN'T FIX, WITH $500 DOLLARS OR A .30-06"
Old November 13, 2011, 12:16 AM   #3
chris in va

For some reason, Kahr felt it necessary to make the polymer grips as aggressive as possible. The HandAll idea seems to be a popular fix.

Hate to say this but you may want to buy at least three boxes of SD ammo and check for function. Every gun is different, some bullet profiles just don't work well. I personally haven't had any issues with my Kahr K9, so I suspect you won't either as the two guns are very similar in design, save for the polymer frame.
Old November 15, 2011, 01:35 PM   #4
Murdoch

The Hogue grip is going to be totally up to what's comfortable for you, but here's my two cents:

I put one of them on my CW9 for comfort during range sessions, as that insane checkering was eating up my hands. I loved it, but even as low profile as they are, it changed my grip enough, that I ended up taking it off. I found that on a quick draw, I was coming up off target compared to without the grip. It might work great for you.

As for ammo, my CW9 eats everything I put through it, but I mainly shoot Winchester white box (you can watch Wally World for the 100-rd box at 20-25 dollars) or Remington UMC, FMJ's either way.

My carry rounds are Speer Gold Dot Hollow Points, but Remington Golden Sabers, or pretty much any major brand hollow points are good. I find +P ammo to be a little too snappy for such a small, light gun, especially considering the marginal gain from the short barrel.

Hope you enjoy yours as much as I've enjoyed mine!
Old November 15, 2011, 08:38 PM   #5
Charlie98

I bought a used CW9 from my FFL, one of the things that I like about it was the grip treatment he added... not an aftermarket grip, but stick-on strips...

Not as bulky as the slip-on rubber thing... they rule!

...an example of what to look for...

http://www.opticsplanet.net/decal-gr...cessories.html
Old November 16, 2011, 07:33 PM   #6
apollo46

I have a CW40, same thing really, its not a bad gun to shoot, but the grips killed me. I bought one of those Hogue slip on grips, and it improved tremendously.

One of these
http://www.getgrip.com/main/overview/handall.html