The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old January 21, 2010, 07:43 PM   #1
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

What lube is your go-to lube?

Just wondering what kind of lube everyone is using and having good luck with. I personally prefer White Lable BAC lube. So, whadya prefer? Don't be shy...share those home made recipes!

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old January 22, 2010, 07:26 AM   #2
hornady

I got a few sticks of the BAC at the Auction site. It was twice as good as Lyman orange magic, Less sticky, and half the price. And have only needed the heater in the coldest months. I ordered a case of it. For the price I don’t think you can buy a better lube. I would give BAC a big A+
Old January 22, 2010, 11:31 AM   #3
snuffy

I've pretty much settled on NRA formula 50-50 beeswax, alox,(tamarack). It flat out works. I use LLA for tumble lubed bullets, and on some that are designed for regular lube, (grease grooved). I bought a bottle of rooster lube, tried it, but not enough to say it works. It DOES dry non-tacky, just can't see it, nearly invisible. So I put some food coloring in it! That made the thin film visible. Only tried it on one loading for my 45-70, no leading1

Back in the day, there was this stuff called mirror lube. Not sure what the base was, but it had a pretty high content of molybdenum disulphide in it. It was a harder lube than tamarack, so no using it in cooler winter temps in the basement. At the time, I was only loading .357 and 44 mag, it worked just great. It's no longer made, but I have a few sticks left.

I'm never going to mess around with making some super formula myself. I'd be worried about not being able to repeat the results years down the road when it would be gone. Lube like tamarack will be available as long as we're able to shoot. And for sure as long as I will be alive!

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old January 22, 2010, 08:32 PM   #4
P97

Eezox
Old January 22, 2010, 08:47 PM   #5
snuffy

Quote:
Eezox
Eezox makes a bullet lube? Or are you on the wrong page? The eezox I use is a firearms cleaner/lubricant/preservative. I didn't know they made a bullet lube.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old January 23, 2010, 08:20 PM   #6
P97

Sorry, didn't notice this was in the Reloading section. Eezox don't make a Bullet Lube, and I doubt it would work as one.
Old January 23, 2010, 11:45 PM   #7
Rusty W

I'm using LLA thinned with mineral spirits and mixed with Johnson Paste Wax.

I don't have a lube/sizer yet. Still trying to decide if it's worth it over the LLA method.
Old January 25, 2010, 10:45 AM   #8
okiefarmer

Rusty,

I don't think it would be a bad thing to have, at least the LEE push through sizer anyway. LEE recommends it too, even on their TL boolits. Occasionally, if one does not get the block halves completely closed, even a few thousandths, OD can vary enough to make a bulge in the case when loading. A quick run through the "push through" would alleviate this issue.

You may not have ever had this problems. If not, it's a moot point.

Last edited by okiefarmer; January 25, 2010 at 12:41 PM.
Old January 25, 2010, 01:19 PM   #9
Rusty W

"Rusty,

I don't think it would be a bad thing to have, at least the LEE push through sizer anyway. LEE recommends it too, even on their TL boolits. Occasionally, if one does not get the block halves completely closed, even a few thousandths, OD can vary enough to make a bulge in the case when loading. A quick run through the "push through" would alleviate this issue.

You may not have ever had this problems. If not, it's a moot point."

Yeah, I've been using the Lee method for about 3 years. I've had some problems but I don't know if a lubri/sizer would do much better. Some of the Lee molds I have needed some tinkering when I first bought them but I didn't know what was wrong until I started visiting the cast boolit web site. They're a great group over there that have a lot of know how on casting. The push through system Lee has worked well and some of the tumble lube design bullets I don't even bother sizing. I shoot mostly pistols and for what I do the Lee has worked well enough. I'm starting to load/cast for rifles now, .308, 30-06, 30/30, and 45/70. I'm wondering if the lubri/sizer maybe the way to go for them. So far I've just loaded light "cowboy" loads but I'm thinking I may want to speed things up in the future. I'm wanting to take a deer next year with a cast bullet. The 45/70 would do it I'm sure, but I just want to be able to shoot .30cal accurate enough to take a deer out to about 100yds or so.

Here's a picture of my Unique load at 50yds and the bullet after it went through about 3" of Elm. I'm still tinkering with loads for it but I can't seem to get the free time and weather to come together.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3006 cast boolit loads 012.JPG (145.0 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00076.JPG (144.0 KB, 40 views)
Old January 25, 2010, 02:10 PM   #10
Crosshair

I throw some Vaseline, Johnson's paste wax, and a bit of Alox into a jug and shake away. I then dump it out on a pan outside and put a fan on it for a few days. Works great.
Old January 25, 2010, 09:54 PM   #11
steven-223

lee alox
Old January 25, 2010, 10:01 PM   #12
GP100man

+1 for White Label Lubes , I can`t make it as cheap as Glenn can sale it!!!

& simply put CarnaubaRed works!!!
Old January 26, 2010, 11:41 AM   #13
jimkim

I use Best Lube, LLA, and a blend of Best Lube, LLA and mineral spirits. The Best Lube is similar to Felix lube. The blend is a liquified version with LLA added just for the hell of it. I wanted an alternative to plain LLA and so far this works.
Old January 26, 2010, 12:56 PM   #14
Scorch

I used several until I settled on Lyman Orange Magic. No smoke, no leading. A friend of mine used a lube called Rooster, IIRC, and he loved it.
Old January 26, 2010, 02:59 PM   #15
Nate1778

I like the Darrs Lube but I mod it with a lot more wax to get it solid at room temperature. Works well, it does tend to smoke a bit as the barrel heats up. Initially it does not though. I also use Lee Alox for Tumble lubed bullets.
Old February 6, 2010, 04:11 AM   #16
Pathfinder45

believe it or not.

I use thee soft sealing wax rings for toilet installation.
Old February 6, 2010, 11:29 AM   #17
rbf420

im rolling with thompsons blue angle lube... really hard lube takes awhile to get it useable but i really like it. use it with 30.06 med velocity and with .357 and 9mm works great. doesnt foul up bullet seating dies, i tried lyman moly lube and it waged war in my bullet seating dies. but yea works great for me!
Old February 6, 2010, 05:35 PM   #18
That'll Do

I used Lyman Orange Magic until I received a sample of White Label Lube Co.'s Carnauba Red. I noticed even less smoke and fouling with Carnauba Red as compared to Orange Magic.

Carnauba Red is now my lube of choice.