The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 9, 2014, 12:11 AM   #26
Duke City Six

Another here in agreement with the proper use of the term "SAA." For non-Colts, I like, simply, "single action revolver," "single action," or the various brand-specifics like "Cattleman," etc.

Last edited by Duke City Six; March 9, 2014 at 07:05 PM.
Old March 9, 2014, 12:19 AM   #27
Kappe

I think most people are intelligent enough to figure out that "Uberti" or "Pietta" immediately preceding "SAA" should imply that it is a clone/replica and not the Colt Single Action Army.

Colt's trademark on SAA protects it against other manufacturers. Not people talking on online forums.
Old March 9, 2014, 12:37 AM   #28
Duke City Six

What I've been wondering is:

If the Italian guns are "Colt clones," why do they all have one-piece grips, and if I understand correctly, no locator pin?

Last edited by Duke City Six; March 9, 2014 at 05:27 AM.
Old March 9, 2014, 01:25 AM   #29
Quentin2

Quote:
Fully agree with the SAA being Colt property.
Nobody else makes the Single Action Army.
Denis

What about all those 1970s Colt SAAs that actually were made by Uberti?
Old March 9, 2014, 03:08 AM   #30
DPris

There were no SAAs made by Uberti.
Colt has been involved with percussion replicas that were supplied as parts, but never Uberti Single Action Armies.
Denis
Old March 9, 2014, 10:24 AM   #31
44flattop

Quote:
Pure gun shop myth.

Quote:
If the Italian guns are "Colt clones," why do they all have one-piece grips, and if I understand correctly, no locator pin?
Because the original army issue SAA had one-piece walnut grips. One piece grips don't need a locator pin.
Old March 9, 2014, 05:48 PM   #32
Driftwood Johnson

Quote:
I believe it was you who broke me from referring to the copies as "SAAs" and I tend to agree with you. "Clone" I don't like, and replica is too stilted, I prefer "copy." Agree on the term .45 Colt. Now if we can get rid of the terms ".45 Schofield" and "M911" you will have done a service to the whole shooting community who demand precise terms.
Uh oh, we're starting to drift off topic a bit, but I have to ask, what's wrong with .45 Schofield? I do know that originally it was designated as Revolver Ball Cartridge, Caliber .45, M1875. The Standard Catalog of Smith and Wesson by Supica and Nahas, usually refers to the round as .45 S&W, but they do mention at some point 'aka .45 Schofield'. And all my Starline brass is headstamped 45 SCHOFIELD. Am I missing something?

I had to look twice to see what was wrong with M911.
Old March 9, 2014, 07:14 PM   #33
Duke City Six

44flattop,

I get that one-piece grips don't need a pin, but the reason I mentioned it is that apparently the lack of a pin makes it difficult to switch to two-piece grips if desired.

I had forgotten that the original SAAs had one-piece grips, however. That explains it, thank you. It seems the first two-piece grips appeared in 1882.

Last edited by Duke City Six; March 9, 2014 at 08:34 PM.
Old March 10, 2014, 12:46 PM   #34
Bob Wright

Driftwood Johnson:
Quote:
Uh oh, we're starting to drift off topic a bit, but I have to ask, what's wrong with .45 Schofield? I do know that originally it was designated as Revolver Ball Cartridge, Caliber .45, M1875. The Standard Catalog of Smith and Wesson by Supica and Nahas, usually refers to the round as .45 S&W, but they do mention at some point 'aka .45 Schofield'. And all my Starline brass is headstamped 45 SCHOFIELD. Am I missing something?

I had to look twice to see what was wrong with M911.
Note also that the .45 Colt is also referred to as the ".45 Long Colt", even some gun manufacturers refer to the ".45 L.C." My point is that all commercial cartridges have been head stamped ".45 S & W" and cartridge boxes marked ".45 Smith & Wesson", with the possible exception of current "cowboy loads."

As to the M911 that's my typo error, meant "M1911" which has become a generic term for any current auto pisto that even resembles the Colt Government Model pistol, no matter how slight the resemblence.

Bob Wright
Old March 10, 2014, 01:24 PM   #35
salvadore

Anyway, I like my SAA Uberti.
Old March 10, 2014, 01:57 PM   #36
Jim March

Quote:
The SAA never had Italian origins of any sort.

There were open-top percussion replicas refinished by Colt that were of Italian origins...possibly Uberti.

There are also rumors that the Colt "Cowboy" had at least some Italian parts, which was believable due to the horrific quality control problems that doomed the guns. Those were an attempt to compete with Ruger, complete with a proper internal safety.
Old March 10, 2014, 02:02 PM   #37
Kappe

Quote:
My point is that all commercial cartridges have been head stamped ".45 S & W" and cartridge boxes marked ".45 Smith & Wesson"

As for the headstamps, it's alot easier to fit "S&W" than it is to fit "S&W Schofield" or even just "Schofield".

I think we can let .45 Schofield slide, considering the Schofield was the only gun specifically chambered for it, with the exception of a handful of special order New Model No. 3s.
Old March 10, 2014, 02:07 PM   #38
DPris

Colt's Cowboy had no Italian parts.
Some parts were cast in Canada, the rest were US.
Denis
Old March 10, 2014, 02:28 PM   #39
Driftwood Johnson

Well, they're not specifically 'cowboy loads' but this is the headstamp on current Starline 45 Schofield brass. Not too difficult to fit the whole word Schofield on there.

I must admit I don't yet have any antique Schofield rounds in my cartridge collection, so I wasn't aware of what the headstamp was.

P.S. Just found this photo at oldammo.com, so I stand corrected.

Here is a link to the page where he discusses why two different length cartridges both say 45 Colt on them:

http://www.oldammo.com/march08.htm

Last edited by Driftwood Johnson; March 10, 2014 at 02:38 PM.
Old March 10, 2014, 04:52 PM   #40
Hawg

I have an older Cimarron 73 and I couldn't be happier with it.
Old March 10, 2014, 05:19 PM   #41
bedbugbilly

Gee Bob . . . based on those targets . . . it kind of makes me wonder about getting a Cimarron . . . LOL! Nice shooting!

As far as Ubertis . . . I don't have one of their SAA "copies" but I do have one of their "51 Navy copies . . . I've owned a number of different brands of '51 Navy copies over the years - not knocking any of the makes but the Uberti I'm shooting now is probably one of the best I've ever had . . no complaints at all with it and it's like "butter" in your hand.

Bob . . . I'm still thinking of those targets! I've thinking about a Cimarron combo in 32 WCF / 32 H & R as well as a 1872 open top in 38 spl. - if they shoot as good as your Cimarrons . . . well, the only "error" in accuracy will be on me! LOL
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63