The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 11, 2012, 08:54 PM   #1
Willie Sutton

Best Tuckable IWB Holster for Glock?

Looking for real-world observations on tuckable IWB holsters for a Glock 36. Want to be able to tuck in a polo shirt into a pair of Khaki's and not stand out too badly.

Personal experiences appreciated. Can obviously be with other similarly sized handguns.

Ideas?

Willie

Old February 12, 2012, 10:06 AM   #2
Spats McGee
Staff

Personally, I like Theis Holsters: http://theisholsters.com/.

You're also going to get recommendations for the Crossbreed Supertuck, Galco KingTuk, and others of the leather/kydex hybrid variety. I haven't tried any of the others, but I'm very happy with my Theis. Bear in mind, though, that I do not tuck a shirt in over it. I wear it IWB, and put a shirt or jacket over it, untucked.
Old February 12, 2012, 01:04 PM   #3
Willie Sutton

Thanks, already exchanging emails with Theis, and will likely order later today. Had read all of the earlier threads last night and had basically pre-selected one based on past postings.

One thing that I found missing was an actual review of the ability to actually tuck a shirt over the thing. I'd be interested in comments on the technique. Bear in mind that I have carried a 1911 in a IWB Milt Sparks Summer Special for many years, but no longer wear a jacket day to day, thus the tuck-quest along with the flatter pistol. Believe me: changing from the 1911 to the Glock 36 was a huge sea-change for this old Gunsite Grad.

So: Even if you do not tuck in your personal use, can you comment on your ability to do so should you so desire?

Others please chime in?

Willie

Old February 12, 2012, 01:09 PM   #4
tnxdshooter

I like DM bullard dual carry myself.

http://www.dmbullardleather.com/1429711.html

His wait time is 16-20 weeks now. Back when I got mine is was only 6.
Old February 12, 2012, 01:48 PM   #5
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Sutton
. . . .So: Even if you do not tuck in your personal use, can you comment on your ability to do so should you so desire?
I think I've tried it all of once, to be honest. I could try to do so later today, but I wouldn't be able to speak from lots of experience with it.
Old February 12, 2012, 02:05 PM   #6
Willie Sutton

Thanks All.

Spats, just a 5 minute trial would be plenty, but hate to ask for your time on a Sunday afternoon.

The Bullard stuff is gorgeous!

Willie

Old February 12, 2012, 02:18 PM   #7
Spats McGee
Staff

It's no problem, WS. (Like I need another excuse to fiddle with fun stuff, rather than grade papers . . . ) I'll try it out this afternoon, and let you know how it works.
Old February 12, 2012, 02:20 PM   #8
Willie Sutton

Thanks Pard...

Willie (Procrastinating doing some real work too)

Old February 12, 2012, 03:12 PM   #9
scottycoyote

i recently went to a clipdraw coupled with a mic holster and its fast becoming my favorite way to carry my g27.
Old February 12, 2012, 03:15 PM   #10
Spats McGee
Staff

OK. I ran a quick trial.

Setup: cargo pants, a little baggy, Aker B21 belt, polo-style shirt, also a little baggy, and a full-sized pistol. (Even though you mentioned khakis in the OP, I went with my cargo pants. I have worn my Theis holster with khakis and a sportcoat on many occasions, and the cargos will work fine for this test.)

The Theis is very tuckable. Even having done it only once, it was easy to get everything in place. It took only a few seconds longer than it does to wear it IWB with the shirt tucked behind it. It felt just like it does when I wear a jacket over it, so it should be comfortable all day for me. Once I got the shirt tucked, I tugged on it just a little to loosen it up, and that solved the printing problem.

Looking in the mirror, I felt like the whole setup vanished like it should have. Of course, the clips (black) were visible over my belt (brown), but Tommy also sells clips that go behind the belt, so that's a problem that can be solved. Like any concealment setup, those who know what they're looking for might spot it, but I don't feel like the general public will see it.
Old February 12, 2012, 03:41 PM   #11
mehavey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie S.
...tuckable IWB holsters for a Glock 36.
This was why I bought/use the Crossbreed on that very gun:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGQYGYznDL0

Old February 12, 2012, 04:32 PM   #12
Willie Sutton

Spats, excellent job and excellent post. Just exactly what the Doctor ordered. Well done!

I want to see about using the standard clips on the pants only, not on the belt, so the belt conceals the clips. The J Hooks are another choice, slightly less visible. Ideas on security if you put the clips under the belt?

Thanks guys!

Willie
Old February 13, 2012, 12:55 PM   #13
Spats McGee
Staff

While I like the idea of the J-hooks (that go behind the belt), I'd be sure to have a regular set of clips on hand. I've never used J-hooks, but it looks like that would put the weight of the gun on the pants, not the belt. Obviously, using any clips behind the belt (or without a belt) will run into the same problem. Maybe that's OK with a J-frame revolver, or even a Glock 36 (I don't have one, so I can't say), but I would not want to do it with a full-sized steel pistol. I'd rather have the weight on the belt. Even with something smaller, like the aforementioned J-frame, I'd be leery of using the clips on the pants only. I'm not sure they're tight enough to keep the holster in place in the event that you needed to draw.
Old February 13, 2012, 01:10 PM   #14
Rj1972

Some holsters (crossbreed and others) can come with hook & loop (velcro) clips that are behind the belt. This of course means you need to have a belt that has a velcro strip built into it.

While I don't (yet) have a holster that has velcro hooks, I bought my gun belt with a velcro strip in it. It also made it a little stiffer, which is an added bonus.
Old February 13, 2012, 01:19 PM   #15
Spats McGee
Staff

Ok. I can see how some velcro might be used to transfer the load to the belt.
Old February 13, 2012, 08:01 PM   #16
Willie Sutton

Ordered from Tommy, with both standard clips and J hooks, so we'll see what works best.

Thanks for the advice guys!

Willie

Last edited by Willie Sutton; February 13, 2012 at 10:06 PM.
Old February 14, 2012, 09:21 AM   #17
Spats McGee
Staff

Did you go with leather or horsehide?
Old February 16, 2012, 11:43 AM   #18
GlockedNLoded32

I ordered a Theis Holster for my Glock 32 and a iwb mag holster as well whats the difference between the cow hide and the horse hide....I ordered the cow hide with jclips.
GLOCK 32 .357 SIG With Hogue Grip,Trijicon Ghost Ring Night Sight, 3.5 Ghost trigger, Weatherby Vanguard .308 1:12 twist with Blackhawk Bipod and a Barska 6x24x60 IR SWAT SCOPE. - 168 Hornady AMAX loaded at 46 gr
Stoeger M2000 Max 4 SA 12 gauge
Old February 16, 2012, 12:09 PM   #19
Spats McGee
Staff

Caveat: I am not a leathersmith, nor do I play one on TV. With that said, I think the horsehide is denser than cowhide, so you wind up with a thinner backing to the holster, and one that makes a better sweatshield.
Old February 16, 2012, 08:59 PM   #20
toolguy2006

This might be a little late, but.....

I have been carrying my Glock 26 daily now for about a year in a Galco Ultimate Second Amendment. This is the first IWB holster that I have ever owned, but it seems to work great. It doesn't shift, or move, and with a little practice, drawing is just fine. I stand 5'10", about 220, and wear an untucked button down shirt over jeans. The pistol sits on my hip and hides very well.
Old February 17, 2012, 12:06 AM   #21
KWalk313000

+1 for the crossbreed supertuck. i carry iwb with a glock 26 and with the horsehide is the most comfortable holster i've ever worn. easy to draw from and conceals nicely. The kydex is nice also so you dont lose your pants if you draw.
Old February 18, 2012, 04:16 PM   #22
DasGuy

I have a holster from "Whitehat Holsters". It's pretty much another Supertuck clone, with the added benefit of being able to buy stand alone kydex shells ($25 shipped) that you can change out so you can carry different guns without having to buy an entire other holster.
Old February 18, 2012, 04:23 PM   #23
FlyFishGuide

Crossbreed all the way

I've tried many holsters for my various concealable sidearms and I have found no better holster than the Crossbreed Supertuck, there are a lot of imitations out there, however I feel that the crossbreed is made of far superior materials and the fit is outstanding. I personally everyday carry currently with a Glock 26, however I have carried full size sidearms as well with the supertuck and have had zero issues with printing, drawing/re holstering, and being able to tuck a shirt in over the holster. Not to mention the customer service, they say a two week period to return it, however at any time they will take the holster back and re mold it for whatever pistol you want.
Old February 19, 2012, 03:46 PM   #24
Mrgunsngear

I'm voting theis as well. He makes great holsters and will custom make them any way you like (I requested an IWB light holster, had it in my hand 2 weeks later...).