The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 16, 2011, 02:31 PM   #1
madmag

Sepra VS Fobus

I recently tried a Sepra paddle holster for my G36, didn't like it at all. I don't like the latch secure system, but I understand it might be good for LEO's that are worried about securing their firearm in a scuffle. Also did not like the difficulty in removing the holster.

I finally went with a Fobus. Works great. Secure but easy to pull when needed. The paddle is very secure yet easy to remove when I want. Also cost less, but that was not my main concern. And I think the Fobus actually keeps my pistol tighter to my waist than the Sepra.

Anyone with opinions on Sepra VS Fobus??
Old September 21, 2011, 06:22 AM   #2
Qtiphky

Same conclusion

I too have a Serpa for my Sig P229. I have tried it in both the on the belt and paddle configuration, and while I have figured out the release I don't like how it sits. It seems to be to low and too far from my body, but I do like the security of it.

Tried a Fobus paddle holster for my 1911's and absolutley loved it! Keeps them high and tight so the butt of the pistol isn't sticking out. With a gun belt, they are very stay put and I can't say enough about them. I like them so much that I bought one for my S&W 66-1 357 Revolver and my Beretta 92 FS compact. While they aren't specifically designed for concealed carry, with an overshirt they do it quite nicely, although I prefer IWB for CC.

I will probably end up getting the Fobus for all of my handguns as I like it so much.
Old September 21, 2011, 07:20 AM   #3
madmag

Thanks for the response. Looks like I mis-spelled Serpra in my original post.

Anyway, sometimes the lower cost product works best. I also plan to get Fobus for my other CCW pistols.
Old September 21, 2011, 08:10 AM   #4
kraigwy

I have both, the serpa for my 92FS and Fobus for my Sigma. I also have a erpa for my 642.

I tend to agree that I like the Fobus better. The release doen't bother me, its kind of in a natural spot.

As you mentioned the Fobus is easier to get on and off, that matters when you shoot enter two guns. Sometimes the call you back to back and I have to hold up things about changing guns.

I found it easier on the Serpa just to un-do my belt and slide in through the paddle thingie.

For future buys I'll probably go with a Fobus, but I don't dislike the Serpa enough to switch it out for my Beretta.

As far as the difference in weapon retention, at 64 I don't jump around enough to make that a problem. I doubt I ever get into a bar room brawl where it would be a concern. In the matches I shoot, the Fobus works fine.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old September 21, 2011, 10:01 AM   #5
madmag

Looks like no matter how many times I try I cannot spell Serpa correctly. Ok, it's Serpa, Serpa.

I agree on the retention issue. I am even older at 71, so I don't do a lot of jumping around. I have never had my pistol come loose using my Fobus.

I take my Fobus off by just sliding around to the front and then rotating one side out then just pull straight up.
Old October 3, 2011, 01:08 PM   #6
insomni

I dont like how much empty space the serpa creates, it feels like it creates a weird leverage on the holster, away from the body.

In general I dont like blackhawk. Sexy gear, but poor quality
Old October 7, 2011, 07:16 AM   #7
farmerboy

I also have and wear a Serpa for a Glock 22 on duty. Yes it works, locks up good and looks good. On a duty belt so dont take on and off but if you did I could see where this could cause problems. Also I believe my best overall hoster especially for CC is a Don Hume "Jitslide". rides high and tight is secure and wont have to worry about gun coming out. Great holster, great price easy and looks great.