The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 3, 2013, 04:46 PM   #1
Reloader2

9mm brass stretch?

I'm new to reloading for the 9mm. Is it typical to have much brass stretching requiring trimming of the case with this cartridge?
Old August 3, 2013, 04:55 PM   #2
BillM

No. Case trimming is a waste of time on straight pistol cases (and
those with a slight taper like 9mm).
Old August 3, 2013, 06:53 PM   #3
SL1

In short auto-loader cases like 9mm, the brass length typically DECREASES with use. The main reason is that wall near the base of the brass expands and the sizing dies do not fully squeeze it back to original diameter, so it is a little wider and a little shorter. The pressure is usually not enough to actually stretch the brass by pinning the case walls to the chamber walls and stretching the head back to the bolt or slide face, like what we expect for bottleneck rifle cases. Even bottleneck pistol cases like 357 Sig seem to get a little shorter with use.

Although you read that cases like 9mm headspace on the case mouth, that is often not what is really happening. If the case is really too short to do that, the extractor still holds the case back well enough that the firing pin can set-off the primer.

So, you really don't need to trim those 9mm cases, and you don't need to worry about their lengths.

SL1
Old August 3, 2013, 07:31 PM   #4
Ozzieman

The only pistol cases I care about length are the 44 magnums I shoot in my bolt action Ruger and that’s for uniformity in seating and crimping.
9mm since I taper crimp I don’t even measure them.
Look for cracked case mouths, don’t over bell and watch out for loose primer pockets and you’re good to go.

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old August 3, 2013, 10:31 PM   #5
Jim243

The only ones you may want to check are revolver cases 38 Spl, 357 Mag, 41 Mag, 44 Mag, 45 Colt. This is due to setting the crimp to the cannelure and insuring that they are all the same so that one of them will not jam the cylinder.

Jim
Old August 4, 2013, 07:15 AM   #6
WESHOOT2

discrepancy reasons

I believe the specific chamber ignition occurs in a significant influence on case condition, to include final fired case length.

I mean, since no two chambers are alike.......
Old August 4, 2013, 03:06 PM   #7
deadeye1

There are a few times when trimming straight wall pistol brass is necessary, such as when loading .357 mag with hornady FTX bullets. Shorter trim length than usual to allow proper OAL and still be able to crimp in the cannelure. Other than that i dont trim straight wall cases.

Last edited by deadeye1; August 4, 2013 at 03:07 PM. Reason: added sentence