The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old June 28, 2010, 01:42 PM   #1
artemka

Just got four rifles - which one do I keep?

Hopefully a somewhat unusual question for the forum:

At yesterday's Rock Island Armory auction (highly recommended by the way - thousands of firearms for sale) I purchased a lot of four New-In-Box rifles. I've been meaning to get a rifle for a while, and this seemed like a good deal. All seem pretty common - regular production rifles from good brands, as far as I can tell.

With the caveat that that I don't have much time for rifle shooting nor hunting, I still want to hold on to at least one of these to keep in the collection. That said, any advice on which one of these is the most interesting to hold on to?

1. Remington 700 ADL in 30-06, synthetic stock, blued barrel (with a Remington 3-9x40 scope)
2. Savage Arms Model 93R17 BV bolt-action in 17HMR (laminated stock, blued finish)
3. Savage Model 12 Varminter Low Profile Rifle in .223, laminated stock, stainless finish)
4. Weatherby Vanguard Weatherguard in 30-06, synthetic stock, blued finish, with a Bushnell Buckhorn scope. This is the only "antique" as it's been manufactured in the early '90s.

Knowing very little about rifles, and based on little more than looks and brand reputation, I'd imagine the Model 12 Varminter is the best pick of the four. I hope the rest fetch enough on gunbroker to make this a worthwhile endeavor.

Thanks in advance for your input (and any interest in buying any of these)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CBG4943A-L-F2B-L.jpg (147.3 KB, 148 views)
Old June 28, 2010, 01:45 PM   #2
thesheepdog

Quote:
Knowing very little about rifles, and based on little more than looks and brand reputation, I'd imagine the Model 12 Varminter is the best pick of the four. I hope the rest fetch enough on gunbroker to make this a worthwhile endeavor.
You're correct. The Savage 12 is a keeper. Ammo is cheap to shoot, recoil is very tolerable, and the .223 is a fully capable round, powerful enough to take a deer at close range. plus small enough for varmint hunting. Those are all some nice rifles.
Old June 28, 2010, 02:53 PM   #3
moosemike

Keep the Savage 12.
Old June 28, 2010, 03:06 PM   #4
James R. Burke

Depends on what you have now, and what you want it for. Sounds like you dont have very many, so I to would go with the Savage.
Old June 28, 2010, 03:19 PM   #5
Scorch

Well, those rifles are all for different applications, so what is it that you had in mind when you bought the rifles? Hunting? Varminting? Informal target shooting? I would get rid of one of the two 30-06 rifles and keep all the rest, if it was up to me.
Old June 28, 2010, 03:20 PM   #6
.300 Weatherby Mag

I would keep #2 and #3...

They should be tack drivers...
Old June 28, 2010, 04:03 PM   #7
bedlamite

Keep 3&4, sell 1&2. The 223 can do everything the 17 HMR will and then some, and everybody needs a 30-06.
Old June 28, 2010, 04:39 PM   #8
kodiakbeer

Yeah, dump the two rifles in plastic stocks right off the bat - who needs cheesy looking rifles? Of the two left, the .223 would be my choice also.
Old June 28, 2010, 04:45 PM   #9
artemka

Thanks for your responses, everyone.

To answer Scorch's question - darned if I know why I got them! Seemed like a good idea at the time! I may eventually do some target shooting and perhaps event hunt with it (I live in the Northeast, so lots of Deer around here), but that's a little ways off.

I don't have any rifles aside from an AR in .223, so having at least a single bolt-action in 30-06 sounds like a good idea to keep a diverse collection. Of the two on the list, Weatherby seems a better choice than the Remington, no?

The Savage Model 12 also seems to get good reviews, but perhaps that means I can sell it for more? Given my non-existent experience and lack of use, I am less likely to appreciate the finer aspects of a good rifle over a bad one...
Old June 28, 2010, 04:48 PM   #10
artemka

Quote:

Yeah, dump the two rifles in plastic stocks right off the bat - who needs cheesy looking rifles? Of the two left, the .223 would be my choice also.
As for the stocks - I guess I can always replace them, no? I know that's the case with the 10/22 (I've been thinking about getting one of those), so perhaps there are options for the Rem700 and the Weatherby too?
Old June 28, 2010, 04:49 PM   #11
thesheepdog

Quote:
As for the stocks - I guess I can always replace them, no? I know that's the case with the 10/22 (I've been thinking about getting one of those), so perhaps there are options for the Rem700 and the Weatherby too?
Yes you can replace them.
Old June 28, 2010, 04:50 PM   #12
bedlamite

Yep.
Old June 28, 2010, 05:17 PM   #13
kodiakbeer

If you're keeping the Weatherby,swap out the scopes and sell off the Bushnell. I don't know who makes Remington scopes, but it has to be better than a Bushnell.
Old June 28, 2010, 05:34 PM   #14
handlerer2

I would keep the Vanguard and the MDL 12. I have owned a few MDL 700's in the past and they are fine for what they are, but IMO come up a little short compared with the Vanguard. I own a Vanguard in 300WBY, and a MKV in 340WBY. The Vanguard was purchased on impulse a Scheel's. When I saw the factory target I knew this was a real shooter. The factory target is <.7". This not a submoa version. I reload and with no changes I get groups right at or just under 1". I am a firm believer in solid everything on a magnum rifle, and the washered recoil lug on the Rem and Savages detracts from their appeal to me. Both the Weatherby's are more accurate and totally solid, the MKV, a late 60's version, made by Saur and sons, is a work of art. The Savage is an ingenius concept. It has an excellent barrel and a good trigger, I hope, I'm not real familiar with the 12, but was very impressed with the accuracy of my managers Savages. The finish on some Savages I have handled in the stores is not always impressive. The triggers on the Vanguards, at least on mine, 4 years old, are kind of creepy, but I tend to accommodate triggers as they come. I have been considering a Timney. Good luck on your decision.
Old June 28, 2010, 06:05 PM   #15
Xfire68

Personally I would never get rid of a gun. Now if you were trading one or more of them for other guns then I would.

That said if you must part with them I would keep the .223 and maybe the Weatherby. Let us know when you decide to sell them!
Old June 28, 2010, 11:59 PM   #16
GallowGlass

Dump m All

Sell them all for whats fair; then get a Thompson Center- Icon stainless, 6.5x55 Creedmoor.Glass it with a Leupold variable.Otherwise, keep the .223& paint the dog town red!
Old June 29, 2010, 01:19 AM   #17
mellow_c

I have no experience with any of these rifles. I have not read any reviews of any of these rifles.

But.

I read your post... read what you had... and bassed on instinct, intuition, feelings, a guess.... whatever, I thought. "I'd keep the model 12"

I was pleasently surprised to see the next 11 posters say "keep the .223"

Sooooo... I'm gona go out on a limb and (looks pretty sturdy!) and say, keep the Savage model 12!

Or if you want, sell it too me for a great price. I'd like a .223 bolt action!
Old June 29, 2010, 01:44 AM   #18
javabum

Keep the .30-.06 and the .223......As far as what.06 is up to you ....both are excellent rifles.

The .06 for big game and the .223 for everything else.....IMHO you have everything you need in the 2 mentioned above....

NRA Life member

Tags
auction , remington , rifle , savage , weatherby