The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 1, 2009, 01:11 AM   #1
TurkeyHunter4ever

Turkey Call for Deer

I happened upon this by accident. I was scouting an area for turkey. It was late afternoon, almost dusk. I had sat down in the trees at the edge of a clearing and I was using my trusty glass call when I noticed movement about 20 yards out. It was a doe.

I thought, "don't want to spook her." So, I abruptly stopped calling. That doe tensed up so hard she looked like a statue.

H-m-m-m....I wondered....what if....

So, I began a soft purr. That doe immediately softened her stance, came on in and mosied on past me without so much as a blink of an eye.

The next day I went over to the regional F&G office and inquired if it was legal to use a turkey call on deer. I explained what had happened the previous evening to the lady at the front counter. She asked me to wait a moment while she went in the back room to check with some wardens that happened to be there.

When she came back she was sporting a grand smile. She told me, "Not only is it legal, but they are all going out to try it!"

When you think about it, it makes sense. In areas where deer and turkeys share the woods, they depend on each other for security. Nothing says "All clear!" like a hen purring.
The purpose of fighting is to Win. There is no possible victory in defense. The sword is more Important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The Final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental. (Author unknown)
Old August 1, 2009, 01:35 AM   #2
longranger

I have had similar experience while hunting elk and jumped a deer.I did not want the deer to go crashing off so let out a couple cow elk calls and deer stopped turned around and went right back to where she was laying down.
I have had deer get up and investigate a predator call(rabbit).So I am not surprised and you came to the same conclusion you did,if they see or smell you the jig is up.But if they just hear you an animal call can calm down a deer or elk.
Old August 1, 2009, 02:45 AM   #3
ar15man2009

Never tried an actual turkey call before. But on several occasions when trying to stalk or slip on a deer(In an area with no possibility of being completely quiet) I have immitated scratching sounds and even slight clucks to ease any tention and the try to keep the deers gaurd down. Often times it works well.

As for the calling thing I think i will bring along a call this deer season just in case.
Old August 1, 2009, 05:36 AM   #4
bswiv

Never to old to learn, or at least try a new trick. Never thought of it before but as we spend quite a bit of our time slipping rather than sitting I'll be giving the idea a try.

The whole thought that it reassures them is insightful on your part. And I'll bet it's right too..............
Old August 1, 2009, 06:18 AM   #5
rantingredneck

Yep, it works. My father in law taught me that trick when we started hunting together 13-14 years ago. Your observations are spot on.

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old August 1, 2009, 08:36 PM   #6
Doyle

The reason she tensed up when you stopped is that deer know that turkeys are some of the most cautious animals in the forest. As long as you were singing away, she felt safe knowing the turkey was out there happy (turkeys don't call when they are frightened).