The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 18, 2006, 04:47 PM   #26
ITEOTWAWKI

Or how about "Of COURSE we can make into that wash" without ever once considering how to get out (Full bore into an embankment, that's how. And remember, fabricating a new front bumper is cheaper than replacing it )
Old October 18, 2006, 06:49 PM   #27
Rangefinder

Quote:
I did that same thing in a creek in January one time. No winch either. Had to cross the creek, so I looked for a place with riffles (shallower water), drove down into the creek and just as the rear bumper drug on the bank, the front bumper hit the opposite bank. My pickup fit perfectly between the two banks. Do you know how hard it is to chop away at a frozen creekbank with a military entrenching tool in January when you are standing up to your knees in icy water?

I'd like to say I learned my lesson, but I know better.
Scorch>> You weren't trying to follow me, were ya? I should have left a sign at the fork that says "Bad idea, go the other way!" Yes, I think we can both agree that January is NOT the time to be doing stupid things in the middle of nowhere, and trenching tools just aren't the fun way to dig yourself back out afterwards... LOL

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Politicians.
Old October 19, 2006, 12:03 PM   #28
Jack O'Conner

Dad told Mom we'd be back with three elk in four days as we drove up into the Bighorn Mts. But a bad snow squall hit us the second day and it got waist deep in a hurry. Took us over a week to get out. I credit my Dad (deceased 2004) to keeping my brother and me alive.

Dad told us this was nothing at all compared to Battle of the Bulge and Ardennes Offessive. He never panic'd or even appeared to be worried.
Jack
Old October 19, 2006, 12:43 PM   #29
Ian2005

Well I imagine there might be a small difference in being "stuck in a blizzard" versus "being shelled while in a blizzard". :-)