The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old December 5, 2012, 10:30 PM   #26
egor20

The idea of using a 3-D printer to create a gun is controversial and interesting, but it seems to still be a ways off from equaling the quality of machined parts. A gun with a major part printed that way failed after just six shots when some enthusiasts decided to give the tech a try.

Creating a printable gun is the project of Defense Distributed, which is working on what it calls the WikiWeapon. But the effort isn't far enough along to create a working firearm, so Defense Distributed used a design created by another printed-gun creator who goes by the name HaveBlue.

HaveBlue claimed in July to have fired his printed gun hundreds of times, which doesn't seem impossible given the quality of the printing. The part printed by the group is called the lower receiver, which is where a round is received from the magazine. Pictures show it to be very well made, and it appears to fit exactly to the other parts in the gun kit they used.

But the pressure of the recoil appears to have been too much for the "buffer ring," which separates the stock from the upper receiver. After firing just six shots, the gun split in two. It's a serious setback, especially considering they were firing a lower-caliber cartridge than the gun would normally shoot.
http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/fu...part-1C7404226

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=wuDCW_Rn5JI

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old December 5, 2012, 11:23 PM   #27
johnwilliamson062

5.7 isn't that far behind 223.
Old December 6, 2012, 12:08 AM   #28
Onward Allusion

Rather than printing an AR receiver outright, couldn't one print a mold for investment casting instead? Much less reliant on the polymer materials. Strictly theory, of course.
Old December 6, 2012, 03:00 AM   #29
FrankenMauser

Yes, you could.

However, it would be just as easy to have an investment casting company 3D-print the mold for you, with one of their wax or green sand printers. Or... just have them cast the receivers.

I'm all for doing something myself, and I do see myself using 3D printing for prototyping very soon. ...but we're not quite to the point that receivers can be affordably printed in a usable state.
Old December 6, 2012, 06:26 AM   #30
iraiam

If it is possible to build a gun or parts reliably and cheaply with this method, I am sure someone will go into legitemate business doing it and we won't need Staples 3d printers.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason
Old December 7, 2012, 12:19 AM   #31
johnwilliamson062

I doubt anyone will be using this technology to manufacture firearms for mass retail sale. PIM is definitely a better process for that and I don't see this catching up in that regard even as this technology improves, but...

I think the injection mold press used for the AR lowers probably runs about $250,000, based on my limited knowledge of injection molding and guesses as to pressure and mold size. The mold then costs $35,000 for a "cheap" aluminum mold. Then look at EPA requirements for the operation, infrastructure requirements, etc. Especially power.

If you want to build one yourself, and many do, this option is a whole lot more attractive.

Making a model and then a casting is an interesting option. I wonder how a glass lower would handle 22lr..
Old December 7, 2012, 09:33 AM   #32
JimPage

Check out this attempt to make one.

http://www.dailytech.com/3D+Printed+...ticle29339.htm

Cogito, ergo armatum sum