The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 4, 2001, 05:32 PM   #1
brass shower

I saw one at a gunshow today, looked very interesting. Does anyone have experience with them? Are they reliable? What kind of loads do they like? Praise or complaints? What are they going for nowadays? Thanks in advance...
Old March 5, 2001, 02:20 PM   #2
Intel6

I got to play with one for awhile, precursor to buying it. It handled OK and shot decent but it needed to be fed stiff loads to function correctly and I chewed up my thumb loading it. There were some thin metal parts that tore me up so I passed on buying it.
Old March 7, 2001, 02:26 PM   #3
TheKid

Oh my God, are you folks talkin' about the High Standard Model 10? I've got one! I'm crazy about it. It is a little ammo sensitive, likes powerful high brass stuff. I've never came across someone who knew what the heck it was. FUN to shoot. Anybody got any more info on these?
Old March 7, 2001, 08:10 PM   #4
brass shower

Well I picked it up, funky looking thing! Now I have to figure out how to disassemble it, any suggestions on where to look for a manual?
Old March 7, 2001, 09:21 PM   #5
TheKid

Sorry Brass, I've got the manual for mine (somewhere) and there's no disassembly instructions. I've been successful (so far) by cleaning where I can with Hoppe's and a GI toothbrush and blowing out the inards with Gunscrubber. I should have mentioned earlier that someone told me one of the reasons they didn't "catch on" was a problem with the trigger linkage breaking. I wouldn't panic though, I've got a couple of hundred rounds (over about 5 years) through mine and I've had no problems. Congrats, may I ask how much you paid for it? Now go have fun with it. (and don't shoulder it on your LEFT shoulder)
Old March 8, 2001, 12:38 AM   #6
brass shower

I paid 4 bills for it... not sure if that's a good price or not but it seemed fair. I managed to get the thing partially disassembled but cant seem to figure out the trick to getting the front plastic piece off and I dont want to risk breaking it.
Old March 8, 2001, 10:49 AM   #7
fal308
Staff Alumnus

For quite a bit of information (sorry no disassembly, though it's based on the Supermatic) on both models of the Model 10 look for the excellent book The World's Fighting Shotguns by Thomas Swearengen. There is a whole section on the Model 10 series.
BTW Choate used to stock an extended magazine tube for the Model 10A for more firepower after the factory decided against producing an extended mag tube version.