The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old March 1, 2010, 01:58 AM   #51
podrav

When I lived in asia, many places embeded broken glass in cement on top of the wall around their home. It looked good by I think easily defeated by throwing a blanket on the wall.
Old March 1, 2010, 01:07 PM   #52
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
You have to be really careful doing this kind of thing. Many states have laws against "deadly traps" or devices designed to maim indiscriminately.
Unless the law has changed over the years, "setting a booby trap" is a federal offense. I found out when I was about 17 years old, and set razor blades exposed about 1/8 inch around my 8-track player, and covered the bulk of them with electrical tape, after getting sick and tired of theft from my car. It worked somewhat. Found blood all over the interior of my car and the perp kicked at the player, bent the bracket and it was facing the floor. But, he didn't get it. The police told me about the federal thing, but didn't evidently think much about it locally, as I'm quite sure they found it rather refreshing. Now, of course, I'm quite sure I would at least be sued by the poor unfortunate criminal for medical bills for his poor widdle fingers and a few years worth of mental stress until he could get back to stealing a living.
Old March 1, 2010, 01:59 PM   #53
KingEdward

"Lots of good tips here, but stay armed."

I could not agree more. Last year when two ski masked
armed invaders caved in the door below my apartment and proceeded
to hold the couple in bed at gun point, I did not have to move
to another room or run to the bed room to arm myself.

It was on me. Thankfully they had not come there for me.
If they had though, I would have at the least been able to begin
firing to stop the threat or at least deter it.

I now keep a 20 gauge and a .357 both literally in arms reach whether
in the den, bathroom, or the spare bed room.

If sleeping hours, then both are at the ready a few feet away/out of sight
in the bed room.

One layer of security I have is being on the third floor and having a good
view of the parking lot. There are 39 steps and 6 other doors before
getting to my door. Via the window in the kitchen, I can hear the stairs
being used or any other noises. I have the "high ground" advantage.

I know my neighbor and her voice on the cell phone while she is walking up
the stairs. I also know the people below me, their vehicles, and can pretty
much tell you within minutes their leaving and returning and if a strange vehicle or person is present.

If I live in a house again, I'm getting a driveway alarm to add to a dog and
privacy fence.
Old March 1, 2010, 04:36 PM   #54
orangello

Quote:
When I lived in asia, many places embeded broken glass in cement on top of the wall around their home.
Some of the old houses with courtyards in the New Orleans French Quarter area use this same setup, looks nice in the sun with the varied colors of glass. It is far from hidden like a "booby trap". {mental note to watch Goonies again}
Old March 1, 2010, 05:19 PM   #55
skydog1979

I live in the country. We have a big dog and quineas. The kids used to keep ball bats and sporting equipment on the back porch.. BAD idea giving a bad guy a weapon in easy reach of the back door. I may be extreme, but I have loaded guns stategically hiden and placed around the house, especially by each door. I also bought fake cameras and mounted on the front and back porch. Thinking about getting the real deal, but until recently, they cost too much. If you don't like dogs, you can get the sound recordings that go off when motion or noise is detected. However, the sight of a big dog placing his paws on the windows, doors of your house or car door windows has a very intimadating effect.
Old March 2, 2010, 05:28 AM   #56
Ben Towe

On the booby trap thing: There was a guy who owned a store which had been broken into numerous times by way of an air duct on the roof. So he put a grate in it wired to 220 volts. Day or two later, voila! he had his man, cooked to order. Trouble is, he got served up a hefty prison term for his trouble. For murder. Think about that before you booby trap.
Something no one has mentioned; how about those sensors that replace the light switches and turn on the lights when you walk into the room? That would sure bugger me up if I was an intruder. That coupled with a master override that you could turn all the lights on from the bedroom would be handy, plus a great way to save on electricity.
Old March 23, 2010, 02:45 AM   #57
tesseract

If you plan to use guns as part of your security, and some of these weapons are not on your person at all times, get a gun safe. Seriously, get a gun safe.

1. Guns are valuable. They have good resale value, and they are intrinsically useful to the criminals. Having guns can make you a target as much as having a 70" TV and a fancy surround sound setup. If you are known as a "gun nut" with an arsenal in his closet, you can become a target. Many targets are selected by word-of-mouth, and you can't always control who knows about your arsenal. And for the love of God, don't hang "This house protected by <gun maker>" signs around. You might as well hang a sign that says, "Free valuable criminal tools inside! Just wait for me to leave!"

2. A crime committed with a gun registered to you may have unpleasant legal implications for you, even if it is reported as stolen. Check your state laws.

3. If you don't secure your guns, one day you may return home to a robbery-in-progress and find your home defense Mossburg 500 12 gauge leveled at you instead.

Bottom line: for home defense, protecting your weapons needs to be an integral part of your security plan.
Old March 23, 2010, 10:58 PM   #58
Terry A

Many great responses in this thread.

One thing I would add is to have thick curtains or solid blinds that can't be seen thru. Lots of women like the decorative look of sheers over windows, which, at night, makes it where YOU can't see out but others can see IN.

Also, depending on how big your house is, you may want to install some "baby" monitors in the far reaches of your house and activate them when you go to bed. Any "bumping" around in another secluded part of your home can be more readily picked up. The LAST bump you want to hear at night is one against your bedroom door! The earlier the warning, the more time you have to gun up.
2 Thes 3:16 "Now may the Lord of peace Himself continually grant you peace in every circumstance. The Lord be with you all! "