The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 3, 2000, 10:31 AM   #1
CrociJA

I have two 590's both of which have "bead" sights. I'm interested in getting a good set of rear and front sights for the shotgun, preferably MMC. Unfortunately I found out a number of things.
1. Brownell's has MMC sights for a reasonable price, but they do not install them, and I don't have a press or any hardcore gunsmithing equipment.
2. Called my local gunsmith and he said he had no experience with the MMC sights, or installing them on a Mossberg. I like honesty, but do I really want this guy to work on my shotgun?
3. Looked at Vang Comp's website. They will install front and rear sights on a Mossberg 590 for $250.00 (rear site) and ~(100.00) for the front sight...MMC of course. Granted I'm positive they do excellent work, but that $350.00 costs as much as the shotgun!
Side note: This particular shotgun was stolen from my house in 98' and was later used in a homicide in 99'. By the time I got the shotgun back from The Levy County Sheriff's department, it was coated in white fingerprint powder and the entire left side of the shotgun (barrel, heat shield and pump tube) was coated with a fine sheen of rust.
I'm sure it will shoot fine, even after I took some fine steel wool to the rust. But I would like to get the shotgun back into its original condition. Call me crazy, but I also think it's my way of "removing" the bad mana from the shotgun.
The murderer used the shotgun on his girlfriends head, she used to work at Cafe Risque. Some of you on Florida's northeast coast may have heard of this particular case.
Anyway any help on what I could do to put some sights on my Mossberg M590 would be appreciated!

Jon
Old March 3, 2000, 11:41 AM   #2
John Overbey

I went throught the same thing a little bit ago. At the time all I could find is the bead sight model, so I bought it before looking into the cost and work involved in switching to a ghost ring set-up. Due to the "silver soldering' of the front site, and refinishing of the barrel, I decided it was definately not a home project. I found the parts direct from Mossberg cheaper than most others, but installation was anywhere from $60 to $90 depending on who I called, and no one would promise me anything less than 4 weeks. The solution? The Mossberg ghost ring kit screws into the pre-tapped holes in the receiver (look at it, there should be four holes with small allen screws) designed just for this. I bought the REAR sight assembly and the screws for it, and a replacement barrel with the ghost ring style front sight already on it. I was about the same cost as buying the just the sight and having it installed, plus, I didn't have to part with my shotgun, and now I have an extra barrel, so if I wanted to go back to the bead, I could. As for performance, I love it. It sight incredibly quickly, adjusts easily, and is very rugged. If you have any other questions for me, let me know. Good luck.
-John
Old March 3, 2000, 12:07 PM   #3
SA Scott

I can't speak to the installation issue, because I bought mine with the sights in place. I'm very happy with the Mossberg sights, though, particularly the high-visibility front blade (that orange just screams, even in low light!). I also found it a very easy transition to the ghost rings after using the military peep sight on my M1A.

I know MMC and others make very good sights, but I agree with John on ease of use and durability of the Mossy equipment.

Good luck,

SA Scott
Old March 3, 2000, 12:48 PM   #4
aztec777

CrociJA-I have the Sage International sights on my 590 with the front tritium post. Beautiful setup. Brownell's has these. I had my gunsmith install these and it only cost me $35 for installation.

Steve
Old March 3, 2000, 01:05 PM   #5
SEAN WILLIAMS

Mossberg makes their own ghost ring & front ramp which are less expensive than the MMC's.
Old March 3, 2000, 03:54 PM   #6
CrociJA

John, SA Scott, Sean,

Thanks for the information, since I'm already buying a new barrel, I think I'll take your advice and purchase a "bladed" M590 barrel and a "GHOST RING" sight set with accompanying screws.
Who would of thought that it could be so easy, the way Mossberg paints the picture it's almost impossible to put on a Ghostring set of sights by yourself!

Jon
Old March 3, 2000, 05:10 PM   #7
John Overbey

Just a note, when you order the parts, order the barrel and the REAR GHOST RING SIGHT ASSEMBLY, and dont forget to order the screws, as they have a part number all to themself. Otherwise, you'll end up paying for the "GHOST RING SIGHT KIT" which will include an extra front site that you don't need. (Plus, it's cheaper that way). Also, when you call Mossberg, make sure you're in a comfortable chair and be patient with the service folks. Some of them are VERY knowledgable, others are NOT. Either way, all of them that I have spoken to truly want to provide great service, but if you talk to fast or don't explain EXACTLY what you want, they tend to get confused. Oh yeah, one last thing - get some lock-tite for the rear sight screws, but take care not to use too much, as having it drip into the action is a bad thing, but without it, the screws will try to wiggle loose after 25-50 rounds. If one falls out at the range, you can kiss it goodbye and count on 2-3 weeks for another one to arrive. Trust me. Other than that, installation is a piece of cake. Good luck.
-John