The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 9, 2013, 09:57 AM   #1
Pops1085

Another noob with a lube question.

Hi all I have just gotten my first 1911 and I was wondering. Do you use q-tips or patches to apply oil to the parts? There are a few hard to reach spots on the slide and I'm worried I'm not lubing them enough. I'm also a bit of a minimalist and I'm trying to put together a simple cleaning kit.
Old April 9, 2013, 10:02 AM   #2
droptrd

I invested in some little needle oilers. Found them on ebay. Very cheap. Just fill with your favorite oil. These are great. Also picked up some plastic syringes for grease. This way doesnt waste patches and qtips and doesnt make a mess. It puts the oil and grease where you want it.
Old April 9, 2013, 10:10 AM   #3
BigJimP

On a squeeze bottle of Break Free...they come with a small plastic tube - as an applicator.

I just push the applicator into the bottle ...and it'll reach all the places in the rails, etc for lube.
Old April 9, 2013, 10:35 AM   #4
Pops1085

What about some of the bigger parts? Do you just put the oil on them and then just wipe them down with a dry patch or oil the patch then apply? Sorry I'm a little OCD when it comes to my hobbies, just pickin your brains for ideas
Old April 9, 2013, 11:20 AM   #5
Dondor

I use needle oilers, I shy away from q-tips as they have fuzz that might get left behind. If I overoil, I use a patch.

When I need grease or thick lube, there are brands in a syringe type applicator.
Old April 9, 2013, 11:26 AM   #6
BigJimP

I over oil my guns...I think they like to run a little on the wet side.

I use the Break Free bottle - with the applicator on all of it.../ I don't bathe them in it....but I use quite a bit ..and I don't wipe it off the internals. But I lube the barrel lug, the barrel retention notches in the slide, the top of the barrel, the bushing ...pretty liberally.

After I reassemble the gun, I will use a Q tip ....around the edges of the trigger if I get excess seeping out ...or around the thumb safety if I get excess there. I don't want oil running into the mag well - so when I clean in there / I wipe it down with a patch.

After I reassemble the gun ....I rack it 6 or 8 times....and wipe the excess off the back end of the slide with a paper towel and gun goes back in the safe. On the overall outside of the gun...I just wipe it down with a paper towel...make sure all the excess is off it.
Old April 9, 2013, 12:45 PM   #7
Dragline45

I use a moly based grease on the rails of all my pistols, and oil in hard to reach places and on the sears. On the inner rails I sometimes dip a Q-tip in grease to spread it evenly. When using Q-tips it helps to roll the head of the Q-tip in your fingers so the cotton is matted down, otherwise you will have bits of cotton in your action, and even then I have still left behind traces of cotton strands. More often than not I use a toothpick or wooden shishkebba skewer to spread the grease. Sometimes I even just wrap a piece of old t-shirt on the end of a toothpick and saturate it in oil or grease. Like BigJimP said it helps to cycle the action a few times so the excess oil runs out the back of the pistol where the slide and frame meet. Since I use grease after I cycle the slide a few times I take the slide off again and clean up any excess grease that got pushed to the side or clumped up.

Quote:
What about some of the bigger parts? Do you just put the oil on them and then just wipe them down with a dry patch or oil the patch then apply?
I just put a dab of oil on my fingertip and rub the part down until it is coated.

Last edited by Dragline45; April 9, 2013 at 01:08 PM.
Old April 9, 2013, 03:27 PM   #8
polyphemus

"Hi all I have just gotten my first 1911 and I was wondering."
Me too,does it shoot good?
Old April 9, 2013, 06:11 PM   #9
droptrd

I spread the oil around with my finger
Old April 9, 2013, 06:12 PM   #10
Pops1085

Well it's more enjoyable than the other two guns I own, a bolt action 30-06 and a 12 gauge... Try learning to shoot on those and not developing a flinch haha

I'm sure you were being sarcastic, I apologize I'm sure questions like this come up a lot.
Old April 9, 2013, 06:54 PM   #11
polyphemus

"Well it's more enjoyable than the other two guns I own, a bolt action 30-06 and a 12 gauge... Try learning to shoot on those and not developing a flinch haha"
I taught myself on an M1911 it kind of grew on me.It is a continuous learning
experience and for some strange reason have no interest on any other type firearm.
"I'm sure you were being sarcastic, I apologize I'm sure questions like this come up all the time"
Geez and I thought sarcasm could not not be detected in the written language,
so don't be hard on yourself and enjoy your piece the more you understand it
the more you will enjoy it.Most folks here are very helpful and some are actually very knowlegeable unlike me.good luck
Old April 9, 2013, 07:14 PM   #12
RickB

The needle oilers are nice. They reach into just about everywhere on a 1911. I generally use a mix of oil and grease (not a combination of the two, but one or the other) when I'm reassembling a cleaned gun, then oil when re-lubing between cleanings.
Old April 10, 2013, 03:18 AM   #13

Here's a little tip, Try mpro7 for cleaning its great stuff. Then lube as directed by the other members. Use Full Synthetic Oil, the Real stuff