The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 26, 2012, 02:48 PM   #1
Pahoo

Should I keep my pistol in a leather holster?

That is a question that was asked today, by gun buddy of mine. To be more specific, he was asking about a revolver and since I had done some holster work for him, he asked if his holster was lined. ....

Essentially I told him that yes, his holster was lined and but with leather. Advised him not to do so but if he did, to monitor and wipe down, on a regular basis. As some of you know, all depends on how the leather was tanned and regardless, not to trust any. I have heard of too many horror stories about the results of long term storage in leather as well as fleece lined cases. ....

What say Y'all? What else should a gun owner avoid on storing one's firearms? ..

Be Safe !!!
Old July 26, 2012, 03:01 PM   #2
Strafer Gott

I know that those CZ 52 holsters absolutely maul the top round in the spare magazine pocket, but the pistol seems absolutely impervious. I've washed the holster with ballistol, which renewed the holster, but it still turns that round green.
Old July 26, 2012, 04:38 PM   #3
Pahoo

How did that get on there?

You might be refering to a substance called VERDIGRIS, which will form on copper or brass. I have not seen it do any damage to the leather and not entirely sure how it effects steel or SS? Sometimes it can build up pretty good. ...

Quote:
a green or greenish-blue poisonous pigment resulting from the action of acetic acid on copper and consisting of one or more basic copper acetates
Be Safe !!!
Old July 26, 2012, 06:13 PM   #4
Dfariswheel

There are two major reasons not to store a gun in a holster.

1. The leather attracts and holds moisture from the air and in conjunction with the chemicals it was tanned with can rust the metal.
Also, the leather will wear the guns finish more.

2. Leaving a gun in a quality, fitted holster will stretch the leather causing the gun to no longer fit properly. Since the gun will be able to move around in the holster more, the finish will wear faster.
Old July 27, 2012, 02:26 PM   #5
CowTowner

3. The leather, if not properly maintained, will draw oil from the steel.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old July 27, 2012, 03:41 PM   #6
drail

Over the years I have seen enough guns rusted from people storing them in a holster or gun rug so I can assure you it is a bad idea. Holsters are for carrying a gun on your belt, not for storing it. Besides the fact that leather and fabrics will absorb moisture from the air on a humid day some types of leather are tanned by using salt and chromium compounds that will attack the steel. Most holsters are oil tanned but you really don't know what you're buying unless the manafacturer states what it is. Store it in open air in air that you are comfortable in, on a hook or shelf or in a drawer (no basements or attics). Keep it oiled. Wipe it down after handling it. (your sweat is corrosive) Verdigris does not form on steel, just on copper or brass.

Last edited by drail; July 27, 2012 at 03:47 PM.
Old July 28, 2012, 09:31 AM   #7
243winxb

Treatment for leather holsters

Neatsfoot oil - Soak the holster in warm Neatsfood oil, let drain on clean cloth for a day, wipe dry, gun will not rust in the holster. Learned it from Lawrence Holsters many years ago.
Old July 28, 2012, 10:38 AM   #8
m.p.driver

Have seen too many firearms rust up that were kept in leather.And saw a Sig 228 that had the trigger guard half corroded off, from some sort of reaction with the stud that held the strap snapped shut.
Old August 1, 2012, 04:44 PM   #9
ClydeFrog

No...

In short, no.
I'd advise you(or your shooting pals) buy a good Bore-Store bag, a treated bag(that reduces moisture, dust, water), protective case-rug or a small gun safe.
To store weapons in holsters is unsafe, may lead to a mishap-AD-theft & may cause wear on the firearm after extended use.

Clyde
PS; I'd also advise he check his holster & gear often. Broken snaps, loose straps, worn parts could also cause major problems in a real use of force incident.
Old August 3, 2012, 06:38 AM   #10
Mik3e

Cheaper Than Dirt sells a Bore Stores storage sock. I don't have one, but it sounds like the right idea.

I'm not sure how I got two messages, or how to get rid of one.
Old August 3, 2012, 06:41 AM   #11
Mik3e

Cheaper Than Dirt sells the Bore Stores storage sock in several sizes, 6 to 8 dollars. I don't have one, but it sounds like the right idea.
Old August 3, 2012, 09:50 AM   #12
243winxb

Gun Storage

Maybe not a good idea? Gun in the shower. Not mine.
Old August 4, 2012, 07:46 PM   #13
drail

I actually used to work with a dealer who stored all of his guns like that. He could never understand why he could never sell guns at a show while they were all displayed like that.
Old August 6, 2012, 05:01 PM   #14
langenc

Store it in a holster while carrying only..

Also dont store in a 'foam filled' gun case/rug, rifle or handgun. Moisture will make you mad when you check on it one day.
Old August 6, 2012, 07:03 PM   #15
drail

There it is.
Old August 8, 2012, 07:16 AM   #16
jproaster

What a great thread. I wish you each were in my coffeeshop right now- coffee on me.

I'm debating the kydex vs leather issue for my first iwb - sig p238.

J
Old August 8, 2012, 02:00 PM   #17
Pahoo

Good times !!!

Quote:
I wish you each were in my coffeeshop right now- coffee on me.
You mean that "the shop" didn't call you to come to work ??? ....

Be Safe !!!
Old August 9, 2012, 09:27 AM   #18
jproaster

Pahoo- there are many days when I wish to call them and say that I won't be in; but "I am them". Unfortunately I am the only full timer at my shop; and that means long days til my loans are paid off.

John