The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 8, 2012, 03:44 PM   #1
joseywales44

Triple sight mounting solutions

OK, best I could do for a title... Here's the deal. I have a Remington 552 "Speedmaster" .22 rifle that has had thousands of rounds through it. It is still very accurate as it has been lovingly cared for throughout the decades. What I'd like to do is maximize the sighting options now available.

Being 54 years old, my eyes truly aren't quite as sharp as they once were. I have to use reading glasses as my arms aren't long enough anymore, but I can still use the iron sights very effectively. I have a 3x9x40 Tasco scope mounted as low as possible on the standard dovetail/tip-off groove. This set up is very accurate, but does not allow me to use the iron sights. I also have a Bushnell TRS-25 red dot sight that I use on my AR that I would like to use on the .22 as well.

I want to be able to use QD mounts for the scope and I already have QDs on the red dot. The first problem is the dovetail mount groove. I have never seen nor heard of anyone making a QD mount for this type fixture. SO... roll in an "adapter" from UTG that converts the dovetail to a picatinny rail. Sounds like the answer to the problem, right...well, not so much.

I'm not saying that the "adapter" wouldn't mount the scope and red dot, it surely would. The problem was that it set both scope and red dot so HIGH that you almost needed a step ladder to shoot (only a slight exaggeration). This set up also negated the use of the iron sights since the "adapter" is a solid piece of aluminum.

Sooooo, any suggestions for a stable, secure method of adapting this fine old rifle to use the sights that I want to mount as well as the iron sights? I have a couple of ideas, but would like suggestions from those with much more knowledge and experience than I. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old August 9, 2012, 01:42 PM   #2
dj_28

I wanted to mount a better scope on my Marlin model 60 than the dovetail would allow. I like you I didn't want to use an adapter that would raise the scope to high to get the scope tight to the barrel for both looks aswell as accuracy.

I went a different direction. I drilled and taped the top of the dovetail for scope mounts. This would work for you too. After you have drilled and taped for the sccope mounts, get a set of shoot through scope mounts. You would be able to use both open sights and scope.

I thought about doing that myself after seeing some of the lower profiled mounts avail. Anyway just something to think about.

On a side note, if you choose to go this route use a drill press and drill press vise, and make sure the gun is level (goes without saying but I said it anyway). Also it is a good idea to to strip the receiver to keep from having metal shavings fall into the inner working of your gun.

hope this helps

DJ