The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 29, 2005, 12:15 AM   #1
Walter

300 WSM, Does anybody...

have a good 'bullet-powder' combination that is getting good results?
I've been trying the Hornady 150 gr. SST with varying amounts of IMR
4350, but I am not getting what I had hoped for.

Does anybody have any suggestions about another type of powder?
I'm new to the "magnum" realm, my previous biggest rifle being .30-06.

I will say this; When that hammer drops on that 300 WSM, you KNOW
it's not a .30-06. WOW!!!

Walter
Old January 29, 2005, 08:08 AM   #2
K9 Big Dog

I'm shooting 5 shot groups that are touching each other using 168gr CT Ballistic Silvertips and 62.5 gr. of W760 with a Federal magnum primer. Rifle is a Savage Model 16 Weather Warrior topped with a Simmons Aetec 2.8-10 scope.
Old January 31, 2005, 10:25 PM   #3
Kanilure

Hi Walter;

I've had some experience with reloading 300 WSM with IMR 4350. I found that 62 grains under a 150 grain PSP with Winchester Cases and CCI primers was a satisfactory load and a tad shy of the recoil I was experiencing with the Winchester factory loads which have 68 grains of whatever powder they use under a 150 grain bullet.

However, I could not get my reloads to feed in a Browning Safari [semiauto], so I traded it for a Winchester Model 70 in 300 WM [bolt action], which I can reload for. [I like reloading] So, I hope you don't have a semi-auto or at least are not experiencing the same kind of problems I was having. You wanna buy 80 new unfired Winchester Brass for $20? You pay the shipping & I'll throw in 50 more once fired, mostly Winchester Brass. I imagine the UPS shipping would be about $7 or $8. If you want to do this leave me your email address and I will email you. I also have the Lee dies, but it sounds like you already have dies.

Sincerely, Kanilure