The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old November 11, 2012, 12:27 PM   #1
Moyer

Super Redhawk grips

I have the older model w/ the wood inlays. I'm looking at both the Hogue model and the rubber replacement directly from Ruger (which I think is also made by Hogue?).

Are there any real differences between these other than the little Ruger emblem? Or do both of them actually have the emblem? I'm considering ordering directly from Ruger for an extra $10 just so the gun doesn't look like it has aftermarket parts on it...

Ruger:

Hogue:

Old November 11, 2012, 01:28 PM   #2
PetahW

FWIW, the pic shows a RH (Redhawk), and not a SRH (Super Redhawk) - but since Hogue's made zero difference for me, shooting/hunting with my .454 SRH, I sold them off & returned to the issue rubber grips with wooden insert panel.

YMMV, of course.

Old November 11, 2012, 01:34 PM   #3
Xfire68

Changed to Houge grips on a Non "Super" Redhawk and loved the change in feel and it seemed easier on the hands when firing full charge loads.

I have Houge grips/stocks on my 500 Mossy, CZ 75B, AR's and the RedHawk. Love that a simple grip change can in some cases transform the gun.
Old November 12, 2012, 01:36 PM   #4
feets

I have the new Ruger/Hogue grips on my SRH. They have the gel insert and work fairly well with heavy Colt loads. It's still ornery when firing standard Casull loads.
My problem is with them being too narrow for my large hands. I'm currently shopping for wider grips.
Old November 12, 2012, 05:01 PM   #5
Steve in PA

I also have the Hogue grips on my SRH. I like them better than the factory grips.

Old November 12, 2012, 11:50 PM   #6
EdInk

Hogue makes them for Ruger
Old November 14, 2012, 12:42 PM   #7
bird_dog

I'm not generally a fan of the Hogue Monogrips, but they were a vast improvement from the worn, old grips on a used SRH I purchased last year. Very comfortable to shoot, and I don't miss the Ruger symbol at all.

The only grips I'm generally against these days are the 'decelerator' types. With heavier .44mag loads, I find them much more painful than wood, or other hard rubber grips, because they are "sticky" and tend to take your skin with them....
Old November 14, 2012, 01:31 PM   #8
Lavan

rubber grips always MELT on me.
Old November 15, 2012, 08:18 AM   #9
kahrguy

The grips are the same. Hogue does make them for ruger. If 10 bucks extra from ruger gives you what you want go for it. I buy them with the hogue name and save the extra bucks. I use them on several revolvers for hunting. Makes hot loads and one hand shooting practical if needed.
Old November 15, 2012, 09:40 AM   #10
Salmoneye

I still prefer the Lett's...