The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 3, 2012, 12:57 AM   #51
Discern

Typically, a person can do a 3 way call with a cell phone. IMO, the person who is called should first get the location and try a 3 way call by calling 911, quickly explaining the situation to the 911 operator and bringing on the person being followed. I can text or email while on a call. It would be hard, but if a picture of the vehicle (while being followed - hold cell phone up and take picture out the back window) was taken try texting or emailing the picture. If forced off the road take a picture as soon and they are visible while locked in vehicle and try to text or email. It might be enough to scare the stalker away. Fight like made to stay alive and fight dirty.

I also agree with looking for a farm or business with people outside, flashing lights, honking your horn.

The fuel cutoff is generally activated when hit from behind - it is designed to stop pumping fuel in case the fuel tank or fuel line is damaged in a rear end collision. You might disable your own vehicle and not the vehicle of the stalker if the stalker hits your rear bumper. Some vehicles have the fuel cut off reset switch on the front passenger side. IMO it is a good idea to know where this switch is located on all of your vehicles.
Old January 3, 2012, 08:54 AM   #52
Merad

Regarding 3 way calls - having worked briefly for a cell phone company I'd hazard a guess that probably 95% of people couldn't do a 3 way on their phone while calmly sitting on their couch at home.

Unfortunately this seems like the kind of situation where you join the game after the cards have been dealt. You can and should try to call 911, direct them to populated areas, etc... but if this happens on a country road out in BFE, none of that is likely to be available (in time). The outcome will depend on what they already know as far as defensive driving or unarmed self defense skills.
Old January 3, 2012, 05:33 PM   #53
m&p45acp10+1

I am still in the camp of telling the other person to pay attention to the road. After they have told me where they are. Make sure they have both hands on the wheel. Turn the phone on speaker if necessary. Above all do not let the perp push you off the road. If they hit your car keep driving, do not stop. Drive the car away.
Old January 12, 2012, 11:11 PM   #54
FairWarning

Sad story. The only bright spot (besides the thug being where he belongs) is that it may be a lesson learned for a future would be victim.

Also when your life is on the line, don't forget that your CAR is also a weapon. Use it with no restrictions if you have no other options. If someone hits your car....so what? Don't pull over for them. This kind of story is also a good argument for having a large, solidly built car. Might come in handy as a sledge hammer one day.
Old January 28, 2012, 09:19 PM   #55
freenokia

Turn on the hazards and get on the gas. Then to head to the nearest safest place.

If that's towards police, tell her to hang up and call 911 and put the phone on speaker. I would also call 911 to give them more details.

If I'm the nearest safest place, idealy we would both put our phones on speaker and I would start heading in her direction till I saw hazards...then...it's fixin to hit the fan in the worst way.