The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 17, 1999, 10:59 AM   #1

Is there a reason nobody seems interested in the Winchesters? I'm not a shotgunner at all, so I'm not familiar with any technical reasons. I got an incredible deal on a Winchester 1200 that is practically new in the box and it seems like a high quality weapon. I was just wondering why it wasn't more popular, Is the 870 that much better?

By the way, my Winchester was bought simply because my gun assortment felt incomplete without a shotgun.

------------------
TJS
Old October 17, 1999, 11:59 AM   #2
zip

i dont know that much about the win. ive never shot oneof there shotguns iv shot benelies, rem. ,mossbergs realy it amatter of personal preferance and finances i like benelies just cant affored one

------------------
oneshotonekill
Old October 18, 1999, 05:54 AM   #3
plateshooter

Maybe their not as discussed as much because folks don't have to mortgage their house to buy one. I use a 1300 Defender with a barrel cut and threaded for Rem chokes in steel plate competetion. I think it is the fastest pump out there. I've used 870s and my 1187, they are great guns also. I've shot many rounds from that gun, pumping it and shooting it as fast as I can, and it has never let me down.

People buy on emotion, then justify their purchase to themselves and others with logic.
Those who spend alot of money will spend much effort justifying their purchase. Not much bragging can go into spending $200 bucks on a hard wood stocked shotgun.

I think the 12/1300 Winchester is a good value for what I use it for. It ain't no Benelli but it gets the job done, and it allows those of us who are not rich to get into the shotgun games.
Old October 18, 1999, 09:41 AM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Back when I started at the Md House of Correction, there were some Winchester pumps in the inventory. A few old Model 97s and 12s. These were still excellent weapons after decades of prison use, lackadaisical maintenance and occasional abuse. There were also some 1200s, soon withdrawn due to massive malfunctions and FTFs.

OTOH, the 870s in use were as durable at the old Winchesters,and still are. Some of the training weapons are fired thousands of rounds per year, one training 870,at least, was still in service in 1997 after first being issued in 1981. It looked like hell, but functioned flawlessly when properly maintained.

I fully expect the 4 870s here at Casa McC to be working for several generations after I'm gone.

The new 1300s may or may not be good tools, but when one as good as the 870 comes along, why use anything else?
Old October 18, 1999, 08:36 PM   #5

Hey Dave McC,
Any idea what the FTF's and massive Malfs were specifically on the 1200's? Any area I need to keep an eye on? My 1200 cost me a hundred bucks, so I'm really not too woried over it, but I do intend to use it.

Thanks to all for your input.

------------------
TJS
Old October 18, 1999, 09:17 PM   #6
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

The 1200s were withdrawn pretty much before the Powers That Be decreed I was to be an instructor, but I had to clear a few. Memory dims,and we're talking about the late 70s, but...

Light firing pin strikes

Failure to feed(as distinguished from Failures To Fire). Oft this was in connection with a shell where it shouldn't be behind the carrier.

Action bar bending, possibly from a uniformed gorilla with more strength than sense.

And one trigger group that self destructed, but was serious enough to get me down off the West Wing and into the armory to clear a loaded weapon they couldn't empty and make safe.

NOTE: a recreational shotgun has different parameters, like the old Remington Model 11 I had(family gun) that would fail to feed about 1 out of 10 shells. What was merely irritating on the dove fields was crucial in AS scenarios,so that Browning design never saw active duty here.

IMO, the few new Winchesters I've shot,usually students guns,worked well in the limited shooting I did and sure beat repelling possible boarders with a kitchen knife.

Advice, if you like it shoot it a lot, sporting clays,doves, anything that will put a fair amount of shells through it in short order. If it glitches, sell it to someone you don't like and get an 870.

Hope this helps...
Old October 19, 1999, 07:45 AM   #7

Thanks Dave. That's the info I was looking for exactly. Love the comment about selling to someone I don't like.

------------------
TJS
Old October 19, 1999, 08:37 AM   #8
Doug

I bought one in the early 70's and the only thing I regret about it was selling it a couple of years ago. I was in the USAF when I bought it. Money was tight so it was my only gun for several years. I hunted alot in those days - deer, quail, dove, ducks, rabbits, squirrel - never had a problem with it.

Old October 19, 1999, 08:59 AM   #9
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Glad to help,Tim.

Doug, if it works for you, so be it. Maybe QC has improved...
Old October 26, 1999, 12:12 AM   #10
blades67

I bought a 1300 Defender in 1995. I have fired birdshot, buckshot and slugs without a single malfunction. (Having said that, I fully expect Murphy to come looking for me. ) I chose the 1300 over the 870 because of the feel of the action. YMMV.

------------------
May your lead always hit center mass and your brass always land in your range bag.

~Blades~
Old October 26, 1999, 12:27 AM   #11
blades67

BTW, in answer to your question, I think the main reason the 870 is more popular is that Remington got more police contracts than Winchester, creating a larger demand for the 870. Then everybody else wanted an 870 because that's what the police carry, creating an even bigger market for the 870. With all of these 870's breaking parts and malfunctioning, (You know, these paragons of shotgun virtue. ) the aftermarket stepped in and started making large sums of money selling many, many replacement parts for the many, many broken 870's. It could've happened to Winchester, but Remington got most of the contracts.

------------------
May your lead always hit center mass and your brass always land in your range bag.

~Blades~
Old October 26, 1999, 06:28 AM   #12
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

I have to assume you speak in jest,sir. One 870 here was purchased USED in 1956 or so by my father. After at least 3000 rounds and 40 years, it's still tight and hasn't glitched yet.

BTW, the original patents on that design were held by John Browning, who made no junk.