The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 30, 2012, 06:28 PM   #1
Mrgunsngear

H&K USP 9mm Review

Let me just say upfront I love H&K pistols so this review may be a little biased. When you hold one in your hand they just fell like solid, very well built guns. Once you start firing them, your suspicions are confirmed. Here's a quick summary of my experience with the full size H&K USP.

Pros:
-Reliable. This gun has never had a malfunction
-Polygonal 4.25'' barrel
-Durable "hostile environment" nitrided finish
-The grip is large and has a good 'stippled' finish that help you hold on to the gun when your hands are wet, sweaty, bloody, ect...
-The sights are somewhat recessed into the slide, minimizing the chance of snagging
-It's a very accurate gun with a nice crisp SA trigger
-The trigger guard is very big allowing for firing with or without gloves
-Ambidextrous magazine release (the location is my preferred location, this may be a con for others)
-The slide release may be my favorite of any handgun I own. I shoot with a 'thumbs up' grip and many slide releases get activated by my thumb. This one doesn't and is still large enough to not have to fumble with it when doing mag changes under stress
-Many different options available in terms of what trigger system you want. (my favorite is striker fired, with a DA/SA close behind)

Cons:
-A proprietary rail is plain stupid. They have resolved this with newer models but any duty gun without a standard 1913 rail is never a good thing in my opinion
-The DA trigger has a somewhat mushy break
-Magazine capacity (15 rounds) is low compared to other guns in its' class.

You're probably sick of reading by now so here's a video of some shooting from the 12m line, a table top review with disassembly/assembly, a discussion of pros and cons, a size comparison with several other pistols, and a chronograph test with popular duty loads:

HK USP REVIEW VIDEO LINK (HD)

Chrono Data:

Hornady 147gr TAP: 985fps, 317 ft/lbs
Winchester 115gr Ranger: 1146fps, 335 ft/lbs energy
Federal 124gr HST: 1152fps, 365 ft/lbs energy
Speer 124gr Gold Dot: 1176fps, 386 ft/lbs energy
Old August 30, 2012, 06:33 PM   #2
BarryLee

I have one in .40S&W and I agree it does have a very nice feel. I carry other guns because I like the 9mm better, but the USP .40 always gets a little use at the range.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old August 30, 2012, 07:50 PM   #3
PSP

Quote:
Once you start firing them, your suspicions are confirmed.
Amen. Great gun, great review. One of my personal favorites too.
Old August 30, 2012, 08:05 PM   #4
RC20

When I was looking for a gun, the HK grip and feel was the top of the bunch by a definite margin (i.e. not even close). Good review.

Not sure I would list the Polygonal barrel as a Pro. Nothing against them, what I think is a plus is accuracy regardless of barrel type (not that you need it supposedly), but I do like accurate guns).

I got to shoot my bothers P30 quite a b it (he could afford eh HK and I could not).

Its definitely an accurate gun (I clover leafed 5 shots at 15 yards hand rested on a sandbag. Sig shoots as well but the HK seems to do it easier.

Trigger seem to match my impression as well. SA is good the DA is a bit mush for range work but I suspect zero issue for a duty gun or HD.

Mixed feeling on the safety. Pretty happy without it but I go back and forth about if I would get it if I had the gun (worth mentioning its an option)
Old August 30, 2012, 08:48 PM   #5
TunnelRat

Quote:
Not sure I would list the Polygonal barrel as a Pro.
I would. I don't shoot lead and cleaning a polygonal barrel is a real pleasure. You almost don't need a brush, pretty much just run a patch through and you're good to go.
Maintain situational awareness
Old August 30, 2012, 08:52 PM   #6
TunnelRat

Quote:
ons:
-A proprietary rail is plain stupid. They have resolved this with newer models but any duty gun without a standard 1913 rail is never a good thing in my opinion
Thing to keep in mind is there was no proprietary rail when the thing came out.

Now, should they have updated it over the years? In my opinion yes, though I don't know how much they would have had to modify their machining to do so. You can get adapters. I know it's stupid that you need to go that route, but at least it's an option I guess.

http://www.botachtactical.com/ggm3adforhku.html
Old August 31, 2012, 09:58 AM   #7
Mercenary

Having just reviewed the Sig P229, which do you prefer?
Old August 31, 2012, 03:45 PM   #8
Coltman 77

Good review of a truly classic pistol.

As others have mentioned there were no "standard" rails in 1993, in fact there probably weren't many rails at that time at all.

Protect our 2nd Amendment Rights -- Join the NRA
Old August 31, 2012, 04:50 PM   #9
Mrgunsngear

Quote:
I would.
I agree. The polygonal rifling give you an additional 25-50fps which is just about what most +p ammo produces in 9mm.

Quote:
Having just reviewed the Sig P229, which do you prefer?
For all around use (carry/HD/ect...) the SIG. Better trigger as well IMO.

For HD--the HK. It just feels larger, shoots softer (we're splitting hairs here), and just feels a little more solid to me.

Quote:
As others have mentioned there were no "standard" rails in 1993, in fact there probably weren't many rails at that time at all.
I know, I know But, since it's still in production I would think they'd update the rails.
Old August 31, 2012, 06:17 PM   #10
thedudeabides

If you liked the full sized USP9mm you will love the P30L.
Old August 31, 2012, 06:47 PM   #11

Nice review.

I really like the USPs. Got 'em in 9mm and .45- now I don't have to argue 9 v .45 with myself anymore. Getting more sleep now.
Old September 1, 2012, 06:42 AM   #12
Mrgunsngear

Quote:
If you liked the full sized USP9mm you will love the P30L.
I do like it a lot; everything except the price
Old June 17, 2013, 08:49 AM   #13
kcub

Another plus about the polygonal rifling. I read that hk test fired it with a squib load bullet stuck in the barrel. Both bullets came out. While it did cause a minor bulge, the pistol was still serviceable. What more could you ask of a last ditch save-your-bacon weapon?
Old June 17, 2013, 09:17 AM   #14
TunnelRat

Quote:
Another plus about the polygonal rifling. I read that hk test fired it with a squib load bullet stuck in the barrel. Both bullets came out. While it did cause a minor bulge, the pistol was still serviceable. What more could you ask of a last ditch save-your-bacon weapon?
That isn't a result of the polygonal rifling, it's a result of the strength of the barrels.
Old June 26, 2013, 01:43 PM   #15
dgludwig

True, TunnelRat: the rifling configuration has nothing to do with containing a squib load test and the inherent strength and design of the barrel has everything to do with it.