The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 3, 2010, 02:11 PM   #1
Ricksgtx

Uberti 1873 .45colt ??

I am looking to ID this replica. It looks like a Uberti 1873 but does NOT have a Importer name on the barrel or frame. The barrel is stamped 45 Colt and the receiver is stamped CAT 1487. The only other stamping on the Case hardened receiver is the ser.#983xx and the Italian proof marking. Any Ideas on where to look? Benelli USA said they only have info on Stoeger imports and could not help on the serial number. This Gun looks like the Uberti Callahan because it has a 6 inch barrel and large mounted front sight and adjustable rear as in the new model Uberti but has a fluted cyl. Due to the holster ware on this gun I think late 80'S early 90's

Thanks Ricksgtx
Old February 4, 2010, 04:30 AM   #2
Rusty.it

CAT1487 is "catalog number" Every firearms sell and produced in Italy must be classified by a gvt entity and assign it a catalog number, under that number there are the mechanical caracteristics of the weapon, a modified is strictly outlaw, so there are web site where find info, obviously are in italian but are technical word so isn't so difficoult to understand,

http://www.bignami.it/bignami/catnaz_det.jsp

Here you can see that 1487 is a "revolver pistol" with barrel 6" made by Uberti, called "uberti mod. colt 1873 s.a. target, caliber 44mag (there is a mistake somewhere?) one rifled barrel, 6 shoot, registred in catalog the november 27/1979
hope can help you
ciao
Rusty
Old February 5, 2010, 09:16 AM   #3
Ricksgtx

Rusty, Thanks for that web address. You have been a great help as I can see no manufacturers ID or Importer on this gun. I have sent the info of it to Uberti and as of yet have not heard back. Thanks again!
Ricksgtx
Old February 5, 2010, 06:14 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

Great site. No problem with the language.

Jim
Old February 7, 2010, 12:46 PM   #5
jimvac49

I have a Cimmaron SAA, 71/2" bbl, 45LC. Bought it several years back. Word was that back then, Uberti made the parts, Cimmaron finished and assembled them.
Beautiful gun in all respects.
Old February 10, 2010, 05:25 PM   #6
michael t

I noticed my dealer has just got a Uberti in I know nothing about these pistols it 45 and looks like a Colt SA Has what appears to be a case harden fame and rest of pistol blue I have wanted a SA for a while he wants $465 for it . has a used Dakota again never heard or them also 45 for $375 I am lost when comes to wheel guns and the SA type even more so. both appear to be 5" approx barrel.