The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old April 20, 2010, 06:22 AM   #26
blume357

excuse me?

Quote:
we don't let crazy people be parents, why the heck are we letting them carry guns legally?
verti89,

when you come back to earth let us know what test people have to take before they can be allowed to have children.
Old April 24, 2010, 11:30 AM   #27
Tennessee Gentleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnKSa
STILL, if one wants to start from a common ground and admit that private purchases are a way to evade background checks, one could concede that there is a loophole of sorts in the strictest sense of the word since one can evade a provision of federal law (background checks for gun purchasers) by buying from a private seller.
That is the issue I tried to frame two years ago. You said it better

Quote:
HOWEVER, even if one is willing to go that far, labeling the "pseudo-loophole" as being gunshow related is not possible if the truth is of any consequence at all since the "loophole" applies to all non-FFL sales and non-FFL sales can happen virtually anywhere, not just at gunshows as the label implies.
Actually, John if you listen closely to the Bradys they do in fact say that albeit not as loudly. I have heard Paul Helmke say ad nauseum "No background check, no gun, no excuses" so they are consistent with what you say as to the "loophole" being all private sales and I would be interested in the law they propose as it will I am sure include much more than just background checks at gun shows.

Looks like Bloomberg is starting up the media machine to do just that.
Old April 24, 2010, 08:59 PM   #28
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
Looks like Bloomberg is starting up the media machine to do just that.
In some ways it's nicer when they lay it all out on the table. Scarier, but neater and easier to get your arms around.
Old April 24, 2010, 10:45 PM   #29
Tennessee Gentleman

Quote:
In some ways it's nicer when they lay it all out on the table.
I too prefer it that way. I wish they would say what they really want and that is no guns for anyone other than the military/police but they won't.