The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 11, 2012, 11:06 PM   #1
bmitch300wby

327 Federal

I just bought my wife a Ruger SP101 in .327 Federal Magnum and I am looking for reloading data. I would like to load 85-100 grain Hornady XTP and/or Speer Gold Dot in the same weights. Info on the 32 S&W long would be helpful as well. I was hoping to not have a to buy new reloading manuals just for these 2 rounds. Does anyone know where I can get this load data without buying a new book? Thank you in advance.
Old March 11, 2012, 11:42 PM   #2
Sport45

Have you checked Hodgdon or any of the other powder sites for data?

Hodgdon shows data for 85gr and 100gr XTP bullets with several of thier powders.
Old March 12, 2012, 01:38 AM   #3
FrankenMauser

Go to the websites for Alliant, Ramshot, Accurate, Hodgdon, and any other powder company whose powder you use; and request their free loading guides. Or, such as in the case of Hodgdon and Alliant, you can use their online databases, too.

We also have a fair amount of data, and/or links to other people's data in several threads here:
A search: http://thefiringline.com/forums/sear...archid=5974232

Our primary thread for data or links:
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=454312

For the XTPs, the best data is in the new Hornady manual, and the 2012 Hodgdon manual (and their website); but my favorite loads are posted in the thread linked above. (Though I may only have .32 H&R data posted.)
Old March 12, 2012, 12:47 PM   #4
Clark

CAUTION: The following post includes loading data beyond currently published maximums for this cartridge. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assume any liability for any damage or injury resulting from use of this information.

85 gr Hornady .312" JHP, 1.3" OAL, upside down 308 Lee rifle factory crimp, 14 gr LIL'GUN

Colt New Police 32 S&W Long mfg 1907
14 gr Quickload predicts 7.3" barrel 1700 fps 29kpsi
Chronographs 1413 fps
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old March 12, 2012, 01:31 PM   #5
markr

Try the "One book, one caliber" books.

Washed up 11B1P
Old March 13, 2012, 02:55 PM   #6
willr

You might try the MDSmith web site. Their latest list does include the .327 mag. Also has some suggestions as to how to use the .32 H&R mag data for building .327 loads.

http://www.reloadammo.com/

willr