The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old February 27, 2007, 03:57 PM   #1
campFULLofBULL

338 Rum

Thinking seriously about getting one. The one I'm looking at is a 338 Rem, SS rifle, bolt.

Would love to hear some opinions?
Old February 27, 2007, 05:35 PM   #2
el Divino

rather go with Weatherby options

I rather go with any of the Weatherby options, the 338-378 is faster and hits harder and the difference of the RUM with the 340 is so significant that it won't worth it, rebate rims cartridges makes proper magazine lip configuration a bit more critical--poorly designed feed lips can result in the bolt overriding the next round, rather than picking it uper than picking it up. Standard magnum cases loads into and feeds out of a magazine far more smoothly.
Old February 27, 2007, 06:54 PM   #3
rem33

I think I would want to buy a leadsled to sight it in. Shooting off a bench with a 338 ultra mag or 338-378 doesn't sound like fun to me, I am sure a few standing shots would be fine.
What are you planing to hunt?
Old February 27, 2007, 10:37 PM   #4
trooper3385

+1 to El Divino's comment. I would go with a 340 weatherby or maybe the 338-378 weatherby. What are you planning on using it for? I hope you have a strong shoulder.
Old February 27, 2007, 11:55 PM   #5
Zak Smith

Keep in mind that once you get past the point-blank range of the cartridge, which is generally not further than 300-350 yards, you need to dial elevation anyway, and additional FPS doesn't make a big difference anyway.
Old February 28, 2007, 12:08 AM   #6
AZGunLover

I have the 300 ultra mag and it stomps my shoulder pretty hard. The shells are really expensive too (~45.00/box of 20). Unless you absolutely have to have that much power, I would look at something a tad bit smaller that would be a lot more pleasant too shoot (and cheaper too). IMHO
Old February 28, 2007, 05:56 AM   #7
campFULLofBULL

338 rum

Thanks for the replies ,

I'm buying the Remington 338 due to the good luck I have had with the Model 700. I need the SS because of hunting in the NorthWest, Washington. I need to have a rifle that is able to with stand the weather.

I agree, it appears the Weatherby is supperior in the area of ballistics. Not sure if I can find a Weatherby SS rifle? 338 RUM is very close the Weatherby. Now if Browning will make a RUM BAR!
I have never shot one (338 RUM), I am expecting it to be harsh - not a fun rifle to take to the range. I am planning on putting a muzzle brake on it. I will make sure all others around me are wearing their hearing protection.
I am hoping to load some light rounds. Maybe get the MV below 2300fps? Would love to hear some more opinions.
Old February 28, 2007, 09:01 AM   #8
mikejonestkd

I think if you want it then please go get it. I do have the opinion that it is a bit more than you might ever need, even for elk and big bears.

What about the good old .338 win mag? cheaper to shoot, still hits very hard, reasonably flat shooting at normal hunting ranges, more readily available in production rifles, and won't rattle your filings loose in your teeth every time you shoot it...
Old February 28, 2007, 03:33 PM   #9
campFULLofBULL

I will have close to $600 in the scope. Ammo will not be an issue. I like the 338 Win, just figured I would get the RUM - I hunt Elk and Bear every year. It's a rifle, that I will shoot with lighter loads - at the shooting range. If I ever hunt Bear in Alaska... I have the rifle. My buddy, shot a Kodiac with his 30-06. He emptiied 5 rounds into the Bear - before it droped. Another friend, (Local) used his dogs to push a large male Black Bear up into a tree. He had a Win 338, shot the Bear in the tree, Bear fell out (Dogs took off running) he was able to get one more round off. Both of those guys... tell me with all sincerity - they will never hunt a Bear again! I like the idea if the 338 Ultra, relaoding my own rounds and getting a Muzzle Brake on it. Now, I need to find a good Dentist!
Old February 28, 2007, 06:25 PM   #10
el Divino

with all this stories get a bigger cartridge, how about the old 375 H&H, 375 or 378 Weatherby or just go with the 375 RUM or go bigger with any of the 416 options, Taylor, Rem Mag, Weatherby or any propietary cartridge as Lazzaronis, Dakotas, A-Squares
Old March 1, 2007, 04:17 AM   #11
campFULLofBULL

el divino, I like the ones you listed - they are excellent recommendations. You can always load the big cartridges a little light, then there's the muzzle brakes.

I am having some problems finding the Weatherby Mag Rifles in Stainless. I am guessing, that everyone who has one is keeping it!

I am really looking forward to not having to clean my father's Rem 700, 300 win mag, next Elk Season! Last year, it was every morning and every evening! It got kinda tireasome.
Old March 1, 2007, 05:11 AM   #12
joshua

I watched a guy at a range firing a Rem 700 I knew right away that it was a magnum just watching him buck and hearing the rifle with a thundering boom every time for about 3 rounds. The guy actually shot a decent group, but he exclaimed it hurts like a #!@+ch. That's when I inquired what caliber and he replied 338 Ultra, and he offered if I wanted to shoot it. If I didn't have a pistol match the next day I would've taken his offer. I've considered getting one, but the thought of the punishing recoil and extreme blast is what's stopping me. Call me chicken, but I've experienced 458 Win pounding before and it hurts until next week. If I need to put a big bear down I'd go with a 325 WSM or 375 Ruger. I did see a Sendero firing a 300 Ultra also, but the rifle is just too darn heavy for hunting up in the mountains. Please give us an update when you get to fire your 338 RUM. josh
Old March 1, 2007, 06:52 PM   #13
campFULLofBULL

Joshua, it is suppose to have a nasty kick.... also, there is the threat of the scope hitting you!

I need to get a muzzle brake on it! I'll make sure everyone has their hearing protection on.

I've fired a 300 win mag - with a muzzle brake. I appears, the real damaging blast hits behind the shooter's right and left. It sure is fun to shoot - with that muzzle barake.
Old March 1, 2007, 07:21 PM   #14
Jimro

338 Rum?

For dedicated elk/bear and you can handle the recoil of a 338 RUM why not step up to the 358 Norma Magnum, 9.3x64 Brenneke or one of the 375 caliber offerings?

It is true that the 338 bore will have better sectional density, but large frontal section is also important in creating a good wound channel.

I'm not so much for magnums myself, heck for a solid big game hunting rifle it's hard to beat a 35 Whelen or 9.3x62. A well constructed heavy bullet at moderate velocity is a proven game taker. I don't like recoil.

Jimro
Old March 1, 2007, 07:30 PM   #15
rem33

Have you taken a look at the new cartridge from Ruger? 375 Ruger.
Old March 2, 2007, 04:07 AM   #16
campFULLofBULL

Thanks, Rem 33. I will take a look at it .

Getting the 338 RUM, it's stainless, it can take down anything (In this country), I can put a muzzle brake on it, reload - I'm hoping some accurate lighter rounds. It appears to be in between the 338 Win and the 340 Weatherby. I would get the Win 338, if it came in a Stainless BAR. I would get the 340... if I can find one in stainless.

This rifle is for hunting, I hunt in an area, that rains a lot. I have seen Black Bear... the size of a Volkswagon GTI !
Old March 2, 2007, 10:25 PM   #17
BIGR

If you are looking for a an all out weather resistant bolt gun, have you looked at the XCR series in the Model 700? I knew a guy that bought a model 700 in 338 UM. To this day he has never shot it. I believe he is afraid of it.
Old March 3, 2007, 12:29 AM   #18
joshua

Quote:
Have you taken a look at the new cartridge from Ruger? 375 Ruger.
Oh! Yeah! It's about time they came out with it... I can't wait for Ruger to start necking up/down that case. Maybe a 338 or 416.

josh
Old March 3, 2007, 11:50 AM   #19
Jimro

Why not just make a wildcat of the 9.3x64 Brenneke? It has basically the same ballistics as the 375 Ruger.

Jimro
Old March 3, 2007, 04:20 PM   #20
campFULLofBULL

375 Ruger

I have always loved the Ruger pistols, never had a rifle.

Not interested in the Wildcat Cartridges - I know that's how many of the great ones started.

I looked at the ballistics of the new ruger round... it looks very good. Now for availability of rifle, and I need to get the type of rifle that I want (SS).

Thanks, for your input.
Old March 3, 2007, 04:23 PM   #21
campFULLofBULL

Big R, tell him you have a buyer.
Old June 30, 2007, 09:45 PM   #22
mongo44

338 Rum

If you put a break on it, the recoil won't be very bad. Definately worth the money to install one.

Reloading would cut your ammo costs in half. You can also adjust your loads to accomodate your shoulder.

Don't be scared, it wont bite too hard.
Old June 30, 2007, 10:52 PM   #23
jhgreasemonkey

Quote:
I need the SS because of hunting in the NorthWest, Washington. I need to have a rifle that is able to with stand the weather.
I live and hunt Wa and dont buy into "needing" Stainless. I would say the minority have stainless guns. Properly taken care of you wont need anything other than blued here. However a synthetic stock if you plan to hunt in the rain season after season is a good idea. Also you sure you want to go that big for hunting wa??? Man a .270, 30-06 or something along those lines is as big as you will ever need here. That .338 RUM is not going to be a fun gun to use for target or plinking when youre not hunting.
Old July 1, 2007, 12:02 AM   #24
BusGunner007

I have a 700 / .375 RUM I haven't shot yet ---

Open heart surgery almost a year ago.
Don't want to crack my sternum open again just yet...

It's a DINOSAUR GUN --- really!
Nobody else chambers for the .375 RUM except for Remington, and they're down to only a couple of versions, if that.
It's certainly enough gun for a T-Rex or whatever, but I just haven't shot it yet.
SOON, I keep telling myself and everybody else! SOON!

I won't shoot the .338 Win.Mag. anymore because a guy I don't like likes it.
I had a 700-DM in .338 and it just didn't flip my switch.
Always wanted a .375.
Liked Remington 700's and since they had the RUM, I got that instead.
It's supposed to be a good cartridge, just not very popular. Oh, well.

IF YOU WANT A 700 / .338 RUM - get it! Be happy! ( ...and it's a BRAKE! not a 'break'...for those that need to know )
Old September 27, 2007, 04:28 PM   #25
CO@heart

338 Rum

Hello I am new to the forum, just thought I'd reply, I have a 338 RUM in the REM 700 Sendaro, I had a Holland brake installed and have run about 250-300 rounds through it, My favorite is 210 Barnes XLC in front of 93 grains of Alliant re-loader 22 this will push about 3100 fps, this load will also boogie through an elk at 150 yards, the problem is I think its too fast, since both of the elk I have taken didn't even flinch when I hit them, I am in the process of slowing the load down and am trying heavier bullets the swift A-Frame and Barnes as well, but in my opinion I love the gun and it works wonders on elk, and deer as well, if you just want to watch them fall