The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old November 24, 2012, 03:36 PM   #1
stevej

Another newbie ? on grip

From what I can gather from my reading mainly on gun forums is that you hold a semi-auto up high as you can, don't know about where to place your trigger finger. Correct me if I'm wrong. On a single action you hold low on the grip, no little finger at all, and use only the first digit of your trigger finger to pull the trigger. This I found on another forum with pictures. Haven't found anything on DA revolvers so don't know about them. Again I don't know anything about handgun shooting so all you guys pass on your knowledge. I'm very much new to handguns.
Old November 24, 2012, 03:52 PM   #2
g.willikers

For revolvers, go here - http://www.myoutdoortv.com/search/node/Jerry%20Miculek

For autos, go here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysa50-plo48
Old November 24, 2012, 04:04 PM   #3
Skadoosh

Semi-Auto: grip as high as comfortably possible.

Revolver: depending on the size of the grip, I grip as firmly as possible but comfortably as possible.

I place the face of the trigger on the flat of my finger tip (not the crease!) just before the drop off to the finger nail:

Old November 25, 2012, 12:10 PM   #4
ltc444

Pinky fingers are a major problem when shooting a pistol. AS SFC Reed (5th ID MTU Senior Piston Instructor) said, it would be best if you amputated them.

The pistol should be gripped so that the weapon aligns with your forearm. The forearm and the barrel should form a straight line. If it is not you will be unable to shoot accurately. Bullseye shooters are trained to place the weapon in their hand and then wrap their fingers around the butt. The time required to achieve that level of consistency is not available to combat or tactical situations.

Only the first digit of your trigger finger should touch the weapon. The first digit should contact the trigger in a manner which allows you to pull the trigger without disturbing the line of the pistol. You need to establish this grip and practice gripping until it becomes natural. Careful contouring of the grip can be a benefit.

most grip issues are resolved at the time you purchase the pistol. If you purchase a pistol because it is the hot model at the time then you are probably not going to enjoy shooting and will never achieve the proficiency you seek. You need to purchase a pistol that fits you.

My Favorite grip is the TZ-75/EAA Witness. I have big palms with stubby fingers. These models, I own one of each, point naturally and fit my hand. The TZ cost $175. I routinely scored 100% on my qualifications. The guys with the High dollar pistols wondered about their choice.

They may not work for you.
Old November 25, 2012, 02:41 PM   #5
Skadoosh

Quote:
Only the first digit of your trigger finger should touch the weapon.
Huh?
Old November 26, 2012, 05:42 PM   #6
ltc444

Skadoosh Correct, only the tip of the first digit of the trigger finger should touch the weapon. The reasons as explained to me by my coach's are as follows:

NOTE: you obviously must grip with the other two fingers. Pinky fingers should be loose but no gripping. If you grip with the pinky you will tend to shoot low.

1. Contact with the pistol with more than the minimum contact necessary to trip the hammer causes increased resistance and a tendency to jerk the trigger.

2. Contact tends to cause movement which decreases accuracy.

Now is this all ways possible? No. Not if the grips and pistol are not properly sized to fit the shooters hands.

That is why I all ways recommend a new shooter try as many makes and models of Pistols as possible before making a decision on what to buy. The latest and greatest may not fit the shooter. If it does not fit, the shooter will never achieve the full potential of himself and the pistol.

When I was shooting competitively I observed a number of shooters who had cut grooves in the grips of their pistols to reduce contact. Fortunately, a stock 1911 along with the TZ75/Witness grips allow me to avoid unnecessary contact between the trigger finger and the pistol.

Last edited by ltc444; November 26, 2012 at 05:47 PM. Reason: edit comments
Old November 27, 2012, 10:35 AM   #7
Skadoosh

Interesting.