The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 6, 2010, 09:01 AM   #1
atlantis

How can I remove the space age finish?

This is on a Browning lever action stock. I want to remove the super tough finish, and put something mellow on it.
Old November 6, 2010, 10:40 AM   #2
brickeyee

Paint remover with methylene chloride gets just about everything.

Some finishes take longer.

Do not use it indoors, and do not use it if you have ANY heart issues.

It metabolizes if you breath any fumes to carbon monoxide and ties up the blood so it cannot carry oxygen.
Old November 6, 2010, 12:19 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

Any paint and varnish stripper should work. But remove the stock from the gun first, and take off parts like a buttplate or grip cap since the stripper can also harm metal or plastic.

I don't know about that one, but at one time FN used a heavy plastic finish that looked good until it chipped or a corner came loose. Once started, it just peeled off like peeling a banana.

Jim
Old November 6, 2010, 01:04 PM   #4
Scorch

CitriStrip will take it off. I do it all the time. You can find it at Home Depot, Lowes, and WalMart. And there is no need to use anything toxic.
Old November 6, 2010, 01:21 PM   #5
zxcvbob

I have a Browning .22 with that plastic finish on it. Nice wood underneath but it looks fake because of the finish. I was wondering what a little polishing compound would do, followed by a coat of wax and a buff?
Old November 6, 2010, 04:41 PM   #6
phydaux

Scorch, will CitriStrip take off something like Duracote?

I had a buddy who duracoated his Sig a matte black, then he decided he prefered the factory desert tan finish. Soaked the slide & frame in acetone for 4 days to get the Duracote off.

I was thinking I'd like to get myself a CZ-85, but I don't really like the factory polymer finish. Thought I might use my buddy's acetone trick and they try rebluing. But I really didn't want to leave a bucket full of acetone around the house for 4 days.
Old November 6, 2010, 06:46 PM   #7
mete

My Browning had the typical shiney stock so I cut the shine with 600 grit paper and water.
Old November 6, 2010, 07:41 PM   #8
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
Permatex aerosol gasket remover will soften it up so that you can scrape it off with a razor blade . It takes several applications and scrapings but it comes right off , without raising the grain . One of the techs at Brownells put me onto it !
Old November 11, 2010, 08:17 PM   #9
44 AMP
Staff

I always thought that finish and the gold trigger was part of the joy of owning a Browning!

As mentioned, lots of commerical paint/varnish removers will do the job, some better (easier) than others. Citristrip is the least hazardous, but boy can you get sick of the smell of oranges!

+1 on removing the wood, and removing everything from the wood before you start.