The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old August 9, 2009, 11:21 PM   #1
Amagi

Question for NJ Gun Owners

I live in New Jersey, but I go to school in PA. Is it legal for me to buy a pistol, rifle or shotgun in PA and transport it to NJ or have it in NJ? Do I need to register the pistol, rifle or shotgun...or just the pistol? Just a legal question.

Thanks for the help.

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.'
Old August 10, 2009, 08:07 PM   #2
chemgirlie

That would depend on what you claim as your legal state of residence. Where do you pay taxes/vote/have a DL/etc?

If you claim Penn. as your legal residence you would treat any firearm transportation into to NJ as if you were a visitor to the state. You would not have to comply with NJ rules if the firearms stay in Penn, just Penn. rules.

If you claim NJ as your state of residence you would have to buy the pistol in NJ, register it in NJ, and abide by all NJ rules.

When it comes to picking which state you want to legally reside for school in you have to consider in-state vs out of state tuition, scholarships, and grants.
Old August 10, 2009, 08:44 PM   #3
showplace

a NJ resident can buy any long gun(thats legal in NJ) in PA and bring it home..
most sellers will want you to have a Firearms ID card from nj..
some wont sell to nj guys at all...
a nj resident can buy a pistol in PA but you can not take it home..
you will need a pistol permit first,then the pistol is shipped to an FFL in nj
to transfere the gun to you...pistols are basically registered upon transfere
when the forms are filled out...Rifles are not required to be registered
nor do you need anything to posses a long gun on your own property..
18 yrs old is legal for long guns, 21 yrs old for pistol's.....
Old August 18, 2009, 07:10 AM   #4
Dewhitewolf

Another thing to consider is that many rifles that are legal in Pennsylvania may not be legal in NJ. This is thanks to NJ's assault weapons ban (passed before the national ban, and it is still in effect). Many of these rifles are listed by statute, some are described merely by cosmpetic features (such as grip styles, stock types, etc.).

As the other two said, you can only buy handguns from your state of residence, so decide which state you want to live in (yes you can do a state to state transfer, but it'll cost you in transfer fees, and possibly shipping as well).
Old August 19, 2009, 04:25 PM   #5
Don P

Give up life in the Commy state of N.J. and move to PA which is a much more gun friendly state and if have a clean back ground will be able to obtain a CCW permit which is something you will never get, have in N.J. Problem solved and from what I understand if you were to get caught with a hand gun in N.J. the only school you will be attending is the school of hard knocks in the gray bar hotel
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old August 23, 2009, 04:02 PM   #6
Dewhitewolf

Another thing to consider is that if you decide to declare yourself a resident of PA (as in, PA driver's license, paying PA income taxes, etc.), you will have an easier time purchasing firearms than as a resident of NJ. When you are done with school, you can always move back to NJ (though I don't know why you'd want to), and, as long as the firearms are legal to possess in NJ (as I mentioned above with NJ's assault weapons ban), you may legally bring them into NJ, and you do not need to register them or anything.