The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 31, 2000, 11:57 AM   #1
benzh

Can one "download" a 300 Winchester Magnum to push a Nosler Ballistic Tip at 2900FPS and have an accurate and safe load?
Why you may ask. I do not have a medium caliber gun at the present. I see no need for the power of full charge 300 WinMag ammo for 125 pound deer. However, I want one gun that I can hunt most animals in North America and the 300 WinMag might be a good choice.

The main question is can you substantially download a cartridge and retain accuracy, reliability and safety.

Thanks!
Old December 31, 2000, 02:25 PM   #2
Nukem

What bullet weight?
Old December 31, 2000, 02:56 PM   #3
benzh

bullet weight

sorry about that...150 grain
Old December 31, 2000, 03:21 PM   #4
Hot Core

Hey benzh, In regard to the specific question, "...can you substantially download a cartridge and retain:"

1. accuracy - With most rifles the answer is "yes". But, you might need to try a couple of different Powders and try varying the bullet Seating Depth off the Lands in order to get there. However, even after all that, some rifles just shoot better at acceptable higher Pressures.

2. reliability - If you stick with loads (meeting your velocity requirements) that come from Component Manufacturers Manuals(bullet and powder), you will experience no reliability problems due to a "reduced velocity" load. For example, the Speer #12 Manual lists at least 6 powders with a 150gr bullet in a 300WinMag that are below, at or close to your 2900fps desire.

3. safety - No problems here, if as said above, you stick with published loads. There are situations where you can pick a "slow powder" reduce the amount of it too much and create what is called a "Secondary Explosion Effect" or "Detonation". You won't have that problem with published loads.

Good hunting and clean 1-shot kills, Hot Core
Old December 31, 2000, 11:19 PM   #5
dundee

yes you can reduce the 300 win mag to approx the 3006. I used imr 4895 powder and the 150 bullet. It worked fine and I got good groups. in Ken Waters "pet loads" he used imr 4320. 55gr gave 2663 fps.
61 gr gave 2924 fps.
Old January 1, 2001, 10:56 AM   #6
MADISON

DOWNLOADING THE 300 WIN. MAG

Your best bet may be to go to page 90 to 93 of the LEE MANUAL. This will give you information on getting a reduced load Dos disk from Lee Pecision for $5.

You take a powder, the one you use for your full charge
loads or OTHER. Select the velocity you want and go...