The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 6, 2001, 10:29 PM   #1
Jorah Lavin

Quite an adventure, but I managed to get my second-hand Square Deal "B" set up and running.

I loaded 100 .45 LRN 230gr on top of 4.6 gr of W231 with Win primers, and 50 230gr FMJ on 5.0 gr W231.

Only trouble I'm still having is failure to feed primers when the primer tube starts getting low. The "follower" rod is missing, and I think the machine really needs the extra weight.

Setting the OAL was pretty easy, and once I got used to bearing "up" on the up-stroke to seat the primers, everything smoothed out. I'm getting used to using the balance scale, and I'm very happy with the whole process and looking forward to trying out my first "home rolled" ammo tomorrow.

Thanks for everyone's help and advice during the buying process!

-Jorah
Old January 6, 2001, 10:47 PM   #2
Stephen A. Camp
Staff In Memoriam

Hello. Very good, sir. Let us know how they shoot. You've probably become addicted........like so many of us.

Best.
Old January 6, 2001, 11:03 PM   #3
El Rojo

e-mail Dillon.

I would e-mail Dillon if I were you and ask them about getting a replacement primer rod. I have heard they will even ship them out to you for free if you just include your name and address. Enjoy!
Old January 6, 2001, 11:28 PM   #4
Jorah Lavin

Good idea, I will.

I spoke with their customer service folks three times today... one fellow, Eric, was very helpful.

I had a missing part, and co-incidentally the ram wouldn't cycle all the way. My wife finally suggested that the missing brass pin might be inside the press... yup! Functioning of the machine made a vast improvement all of a sudden.

Old January 7, 2001, 09:44 AM   #5
tonyz

Jorah:

Welcome to the world of reloading I am sure you will be addicted in no time if not already!!!
You will Enjoy your SDB I have loaded many 10,000"s on mine without a problum.
I clean the whole setup every time I change calibers Including taking down the primer system and cleaning it.
With proper usage and maintanace I think it will last a life time,Probably many! And with Dillon behind the product I know We can't go wrong.
By the way the primer rod is needed to add that extra wight for problum free function.

Tony Z

Picture of my Dillon

[Edited by tonyz on 01-07-2001 at 10:08 AM]
Old January 7, 2001, 10:10 AM   #6
Sisco

Just remember, reloading starts a vicious circle: Reload, shoot, clean guns. Reload, shoot, clean guns. Wait for payday to buy more supplies, reload, shoot, clean guns.
Old January 7, 2001, 11:07 AM   #7
MADISON

Do the primers drop?

When you are priming, do the primers drop/slide down the tube? I found a small cleaning rod and the correct size brush [17 caliber, maybe] and worked it down the empty tube until all the burrs were gone.
Old January 7, 2001, 11:14 AM   #8
Jorah Lavin

I'm wondering about a temporary primer tube follower...

I was wondering if I could make up a homemade primer-tube follower out of a wire hanger?

Anyway, I'm heading out to the range in 2 hours to test out the home-rolled, and I'll find out then how well I did.

One thing; I followed the Speer manual and put the OAL at 1.275 for the Kimber. Later, reading the archives here on TFL, I see most people advising OAL of 1.260, (LRN and RN FMJ) and my Speer Lawman ammo is in that same range; your opinions?

-Jorah

Old January 8, 2001, 02:17 PM   #9
fgerardij

Jorah:

Hello, it's Frank from the ebay bidding war :<) Glad to hear you're up and reloading.

I finally got a reloader. Found a good used RL450 Dillon on Ebay that is in good shape so I'm ready to go.

Thanks to all who gave me feedback on the Lee vs. the Dillon products, I'm very glad I went for the Dillon.

Take care,
Frank