The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 31, 2000, 11:35 AM   #1
PKN

I just started using AA#2 because it will allow me to standardize powder across three calibers(9x19, 40 S&W, 45 acp). The problem is, my RCBS uniflow powder measure, which worked so well for Clays and Universal, will not throw a low enough chare for the 9 with #2! Can anyone here help me with the solution? Thanks
Old December 31, 2000, 05:18 PM   #2
jsn

RCBS uniflow

PKN my OLD(20 years maybe more) uniflow came with two sets inserts(powder chambers)and metering rods,one is large for large case volume rifle drops and the other is small for pistol and rifle drops,I haven't used AA#2 but I have made drops as small as 3.0gr of win231 using the small insert and stem.I leave in the small insert and can dump everything I load from 9mm to 45/70 but I do need the large for my belted mag's.maybe you just need to change out your insert and stem for the small one.

the large is .680 inside dia
the small is about half that .300 or so,I don't feel like taking apart my uniflow right now but if you need a measurement let me know.
Old December 31, 2000, 08:31 PM   #3
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

My uniflow is about 38 years old and when I bought it the ONLY insert that it had was the small one. With that one I was able to throw as little as 2 grains of bullseye. A little hint I finally found a large insert and the screw for it on E-bay for about 10 bucks so now I am also set up as jsn is to pitch the exact charges needed for belted magnums.
Old December 31, 2000, 10:39 PM   #4
PKN

Thanks, I got it though. Something was off in the dial, rezeroed it and I'm all set.