The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 14, 2005, 02:17 PM   #1
kjm

coq (squirrel) au vin

Has anybody done this? I've done it with chicken, but would squirrel work well? Say- a tough old squirrel? I'm looking for stew type recipes for old squirrels, so chime in if you have one.
Old October 14, 2005, 02:31 PM   #2
mtnbkr

I would think so. The whole point of the Coq au Vin recipe, IIRC, was to properly deal with tough old chickens.

Sorry, no recipe of my own. Last time I made it (with chicken), I used the first recipe that was handy.

Chris
Old October 14, 2005, 07:17 PM   #3
Mannlicher

I would soak the cut up squirrel overnight in buttermilk. The lactic acid softens the meat. Other than that, yes, the standard recipe for Coc au vin would work with squirrel. I would use a more full bodied red wine, ( Burgundy, merlot or a good Malbec),to complement the stronger taste of the meat. I think that after putting the browned meat in the casserole, and adding the stock, wine, cognac and herbs, you would need to cook it longer than the normal 25 min that you would use with Chicken. I think that 45 min to an hour, at a lower heat would work fine.
Traditionally this dish is made with, besides the chicken, onions, lardons, and mushrooms

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old October 14, 2005, 08:19 PM   #4
mete

The acids in the wine do the same thing as the acids in the buttermilk.This is braising , a slow moist cooking method which is good for the less tender cuts of meat .For squirrel you'd probably do it for 45 -60 minutes. I agree that a dry red ,full bodied wine would be best.
Old October 15, 2005, 01:12 PM   #5
Mannlicher

trust me, the buttermilk is the key to cooking squirrel. I am not sure of the chemistry, but the buttermilk greatly reduces the 'gamey' taste, and does tenderize. Works well for other critters also.
just remember to rinse it off, and pat dry, before browning the pieces.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan