The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 8, 2014, 10:41 PM   #1
Model12Win

Remington NMA?

Hey all!

I've one cap and ball revolver, a Cimarron (Uberti made) 1851 Navy revolver in .36, and it's fun to shoot. However, I want a .44 gun too!

So I've decided on the Remington New Model Army, I have heard these guns generally have less problems with cap fragments than the Colt open tops guns. Is this true? Are there any issues with the Remington designs that make them worse than the Colts? I am looking for a more reliable, harder hitting gun than my Colt Navy. Also I am just wanting something different, and I love the looks and lore of the Remington.

Also, I am interested in being as historically authentic as possible, so what type of Remington New Model Army should I get? I really like Uberti guns... they seem high quality and I have heard there version of the Remington is more accurate in terms of the dimensions and stuff like that, is this true as well? I would not be against the Piettas or other brands but again... I'm going for historical accuracy and I would like a good quality example that is well made. So far I have been very pleased with my Uberti Navy, so I have some brand loyalty I guess. Still open to other suggestions.

Aside from the brand, what is the correct configuration of these guns regarding the barrel length and materials/finish? From my research I have found 8" and 5 1/2" models offered, and finishes for the frame being made of color case hardened steel and also blued steel, both with blued barrels. Which one was really used on the Remingtons? I have heard brass is inauthentic and I would not be interested in that as I intend to shoot full loads and have heard brass is not the best for that purpose.

Basically, I'm just feeling around into the world of the Remington New Model Army and trying to get some feedback on what make and model I should buy of it, and also any special things I should know that are different from the Colt cap and ball guns.

Thanks so much for your time!
Old October 9, 2014, 04:25 AM   #2
Hawg

I know Pietta uses really fat grips compared to an original. I've never owned a Uberti but I think the grips are closer to original size. Original barrels were 8 inches. Finish was blue. Remingtons have a smaller cylinder pin and generally wont run as long as a Colt without binding and the trigger guard may smack your second knuckle when you fire it.
Old October 9, 2014, 09:29 AM   #3
swathdiver

Uberti. Since 2007 they've had forged frames and the twist tightened up for conical shooting. They also reshaped the gun here and there for historical accuracy but only the well trained eye can differentiate between a Pietta or Uberti from 10 feet away.

Texas Jacks carry's both frames, be sure to ask for the forged frame sixgun.
Old October 9, 2014, 11:35 AM   #4
CameronP

Hey swathdiver,
My 1858 Uberti NMA is relatively new, stamped CI. (2011 or later) A fantastic revolver.
Butter-smooth action and excellent trigger pull. Loads and shoots Lee Conicals very well.
Pray tell, how do I know whether or not it has a forged frame?
Old October 9, 2014, 08:22 PM   #5
BirchOrr

Stick with the Uberti. you will up your odds of getting yet another great shooting revolver.

just my 2 cents.

Birch
Black Powder: Not because it is easy, but because it is hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win...
Old October 9, 2014, 11:37 PM   #6
Hellgate

As for authenticity, the Euroarms Remingtons are probably closest to the original dimensions as for frame size & grips. The Uberti is a bit larger but has the original profile of smooth taper (gentle slope, without a step) from frame to barrel. The Euros are no longer made but are the smallest, lightest Remingtons out there. I've read that an original Beals model was used as the pattern by Euroarms/Armi San Paolo. Quality can be spotty: out of about 7 or 8 I've owned 4 are sweeties and one was a dog. The Ubertis are quite consistant in quality. A little heavier than the Euros but not a beefy as the Piettas that to me are klunky and too big to wield. Quality is widely reported to be much improved in the Piettas from several years ago (this also includes their Colt models).
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old October 10, 2014, 10:29 AM   #7
swathdiver

Do you have the original box CameronP? I'm drawing a blank at the moment.
Old October 10, 2014, 10:50 AM   #8
CameronP

Alas, I don't. But I doesn't seem logical that Uberti would produce two different 1858 New Model Armys. ( one cast type frame and the other forged).
Old October 10, 2014, 07:02 PM   #9
swathdiver

As of 2012 ALL Uberti cap and ball revolvers use forged frames.

When the 1858 was updated in 2007, it's now made on the correct ARMY frame size and weighs the same as an original NMA.

Earlier Uberti, Pietta and ASP/Euroarms 1858s in .36 and .44 were made based on the NAVY frame.

The Dragoons got forged frames in 2002. Check out the Yahoo Percussion Revolver Group for a wealth of information.
Old October 10, 2014, 09:53 PM   #10
brazosdave

The only issue I have with Uberti's is that they almost never work right out of the box, and since their "short arbor syndrome" is common knowledge, i am surprised they haven't rectified it. If you are mainly going for the "look", i reckon you would be happy with the Uberti. If you intend to actually shoot a lot, i would prolly tilt towards a Pietta.
Old October 11, 2014, 01:47 AM   #11
Gaz_in_NZ

I have 3 Uberti C&B revolvers in .44 and have had no problems what so ever with any of them and they all shot good out the box (providing that you clean all the oil off 'em first).
The Walker is more accurate than my two '58 Remingtons and is quite tollerent to a charge of 19 to 30grains (I use 21 for comps) where as I have found the Remies less tolerant to variations or alterations in powder weight, filler weight and type, ball batches etc.
All are good guns but once you've used a Walker anything else just feels a little lightweight.
25 yds with the walker I'd expect a 2 inch group, double handed stance with each cylinder full (6 shots, 21grs FFF Goex, with .457 ball).

Cheers
Gaz
Old October 11, 2014, 02:06 PM   #12
CameronP

swathdiver:
I know that Taylors specifically mentions "forged" for their 1858 Uberti
Whereas when I contacted the Uberti site, their reply was: "None or their Revolvers were forged". Anyway, I have more important things to worry about.
Old October 12, 2014, 12:48 PM   #13
swathdiver

Seems the Uberti representative should look at their own website:

http://www.ubertireplicas.com/intern...=5&idpagina=23

It does appear that the 1858 is still made with cast frames AND with forged frames. 107s and 430s though I cannot remember which is which.
Old October 12, 2014, 06:13 PM   #14
CameronP

Looking at the Uberti site cleared up my confusion.
Looks like the Stainless Steel NMAs have cast frames.
thanks for bearing with me, swathdiver.