The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old October 5, 2012, 07:38 PM   #26
highpower3006

$800 is way too high, even here in the Peoples Republic of California. I will say that while you will always hear someone tell of the one they bought for $75 last week, the prices on then are going up.

The no dash models are the most highly sought after and do command a premium. The prices are somewhat all over the place, but $450~600 (depending on condition) seems to be the going rate. Add about 25% or so for a 2 1/2" barrel and you will be in the ball park.

The somewhat later no dash models with the blued sights are worth considering also. I bought this one two years ago for $300.

Old October 5, 2012, 09:16 PM   #27
AKsRul.e

"I've been looking at 66s lately and see three basic price ranges: $400ish for guns with lots of use; $550ish for "cleaner" guns but maybe with burring on the screws indicating past work; $800ish for really clean specimens."

You are looking in the wrong places.

I just checked Gunbroker - 4" 66s for $500 , snubbies for $600.

They looked in great shape.

Maybe add $75 for a really sharp looking one.

More than that is TOO MUCH for a shooter.

Old October 5, 2012, 09:37 PM   #28
FLChinook

The only 66s on GB now for $500 are 66-2 or higher. The 66 blank and 66-1 are a little higher
Old October 5, 2012, 10:48 PM   #29
TheTinMan

IMHO the 3" Model 66 is one fine firearm. Barrel just long enough for full length ejector rod and decent velocity. Workable sight plane. Excellent balance. And if anyone wants to sell me one in 95% condition for $750 or less I'll take it!

I gave this 66-4 to my daughter:

BTW that's an SDM fiber optic sight to compensate for older eyes.
Old October 6, 2012, 12:29 AM   #30
FLChinook

Quote:
A 66 is a great gun, but its not a 5 screw 357 model or a first year combat magnum, or a 5 screw highway patrolman
What is a 5 screw highway patrolman? Is that the model 27/28? They look like the same number of screws as the 66
Old October 6, 2012, 01:01 AM   #31
FLChinook

Regarding the $600 as being too much, my point was this is an auction and this gun had been in the auction for over a week with zero bids. Since I don't know much about these guns, I'm reluctant to be the first bidder. The gun could very well be worth $600... If it had started with a $100 bid and then worked its way up to $600, I would be more confident about it.

Last edited by Tom Servo; October 6, 2012 at 07:28 AM.
Old October 6, 2012, 07:05 AM   #32
CajunBass

Is it too much? Probably, for "just a 66." But if you're looking at an unfired example, in the box, with the papers, tools, etc., it might not be if that's what you really want. Only you can make that decision.

I know a lot of people say they don't care about the box and papers and such. And that's great, because there are people like me, who don't want it at all unless it HAS the box, papers, and stuff. When you decide that's what you want, you narrow the field down quite a bit, and that raises the price.

Yes, I paid too much for it. How much isn't important, but since I don't plan to sell it, it doesn't matter. IF I ever did have to sell it, and I can't get my money back...well, that's just the cost of having owned it for a while.

When I compare what I paid, to a Glock, Sig, Kimber, or even a new Smith & Wesson, it was a steal.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old October 6, 2012, 07:17 AM   #33
RsqVet

I bought a 66-4 for 450 about 8 months ago. 2.5 tube. At a gun shop. They are out there just have to be patient and wait for the right gun / price. Hit the shops and learn who has finds and who has junk.

I don't feel you are wasting anyones time, I have bought and sold many things from watches and clocks to antiques to surplus instruments and it took me time and a few mistakes to figure out the gun market and have confidence in what I was doing / looking at

I think it's human nature not to open auctions hi. I have seen it for decades. 18k farm tractor at auction, goes down to 500 bucks then bid up to 19.5 k. Guess it's human nature, if you can get past that often there is, in my observation often less bidding wars with high openers, guess the flip side is people figure someone who is serious and throws down high will keep going. Maybe maybe not but the few times I have tried it at live auctions it seems to work often.

Frankly I would not buy a 66 online, no need for the hassle unless one is really in a remote corner of the world. I limit onlie buys to new or rare guns in high condition. Plenty of 66's to be had in most locals that may be without box/papers but are otherwise near new and highly worth it.
Old October 8, 2012, 10:49 AM   #34
18DAI

When you consider the exhorbitant asking prices for current production S&W revolvers, with their MIM parts, canted barrels and idiot locks, $800 for a nice pre lock 66 starts to look not that far out of line.

I know which one I'd prefer. Regards 18DAI
Old October 8, 2012, 12:03 PM   #35
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
I bought a 66-4 for 450 about 8 months ago. 2.5 tube. At a gun shop. They are out there just have to be patient and wait for the right gun / price. Hit the shops and learn who has finds and who has junk.
$450 is about right for a shooter in good condition. Expect box and papers to add about $100. A 4" model should go for about $50 less.

There are still law enforcement and security company trade-ins floating around online from time to time. I've seen runs of the pre-620 2002 models running ~$350 from time to time.

There were a lot of 66's made, and it's not seen as a collector's piece.

3" models? $800 might not be ridiculous, but that's a whole other story.
Old October 8, 2012, 02:36 PM   #36
Bob Wright

moxie wrote:

Quote:
It's not too much for YOU if YOU wanted it and had the spare $$$ to pay for it. YOU get to decide the worth of things to YOU.
The post posed the question if the price was considered too much. Suppose the question was about a used truck. Used trucks are selling for $2,000 to $4,500, and the prospective buy has the chance to buy one priced at $25,000 and asks if tha't too much. I would still say its too much.

The gun he aksed about normally sells for $600~$700, again, I say "too much." If he chooses to pay the price, that's his business.

Bob Wright