The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 29, 2011, 01:19 AM   #1
lamarw

.410 AMMO Price

It seems unlikely to me, but I will ask the question. Does anyone perceive the Taurus Judge is in anyway increasing the cost of 3 inch .410 ammo?

I do not own a Judge, but the other day I did some bottom feeding and snapped up an H&R Deluxe Model 98 single shot .410 for fifty bucks. I went by Academy and grabbed up a couple of boxs of no. 6 shot, and they were over 12 bucks a box of 25. I was kinda thinking this was a little high. I paid almost half the cost of the gun for two boxes of shells.

This is not a big deal for me since I will not be shoothing the gun often. I can see where it could be a high cost for Judge owners.
Old May 29, 2011, 09:42 AM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

No, not much... In fact the other way is more likely...

The price went out of sight as fewer folks shot the .410. The highest I remember (no ammo hoarding times) was High 12 bucks a box for remington "Express" or Winchester "Super X" both not a "premium ammo" by any stretch.

Both were around #6 shot. The same in 12 gauge the same day were around $5... maybe closer to $6.

If they sell a brazillian of those pistols then maybe the demand will force more supply and then it will level off and prices may possibly get back down when the shooters realize the MASSIVE profits the companies get compared to the far heavier larger bore shells.

Brent
Old May 29, 2011, 09:51 AM   #3
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Deadly cycle, I like the .410 and shoot it as much as I can but not nearly as much as I would like because I can't afford to. With ammo being so high there isn't much incentive to buy a lot of it and with the reduced demand the makers will continue to gouge us who do shoot it.

Add in the negative view it has from people who think anything less than 3 1/2" 12 gauge magnum isn't worth considering and the makers have little incentive to push the .410.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old May 29, 2011, 06:01 PM   #4
BigJimP

No, sales of "the judge" are irrelevent - to the cost of .410 ammo..../ its been up in price for a long time ( in my area you can buy RIO for about $ 10 a box / and premium shells like REM STS are about $ 16 a box )....

Skeet shooters - shoot quite a bit of .410 ....and on big sporting clays shoots - there is always a .410 event ....but even that usage isn't enough to drive down the cost of .410 ammo because the volume sold is so low compared to 12ga and 20ga....

Most all of us that shoot much .410 ( or 28ga ) reload both ... my reloads on .410 ( because it only has 1/2 oz of shot ) is around $ 1.50 - $ 2 for a box of 25. My buddy and I like to shoot 3 or 4 boxes of 20ga or 28ga / and then a couple of boxes of .410 every week ( shooting the .410 at Skeet - keeps me humble / because the gun talks to me ...( it usually says "you suck" ...) and then it just laughs a lot between stations.../ but I told it the other day if it didn't behave I was going to drag it thru the parking lot on a rope ...( it didn't help, but I felt better ) ....
Old May 30, 2011, 01:15 PM   #5
lamarw

I think you Gentlemen are correct. It has been a long time since I even shot a .410.

The old neglected gun just called to me from the rack. I will probably not shoot it often, but at least I saved it for the future.

My Brother has a Taurus Judge and wanted to know if I reloaded for it. Now seeing the price of factory ammo, I can understand his hope from me as a reloader.

My shotshell reloader is an old Pacific unit. Kind of dates me a tad. I do not see any conversions for a .410; although I have the conversion for the .20 gauge.

Here are a couple of pictures. The before picture is after I stripped with denatured alcohol the remaining black finish (about 50%).

The finished gun is after using black stain, blonde shellac mixed with black ink, and a good coat of polish.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg H&R 98 Before.jpg (250.0 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg H&R 98.jpg (249.0 KB, 40 views)
Old May 30, 2011, 02:06 PM   #6
zippy13

The prices of today's .410 shells are obscene.
Old May 30, 2011, 02:13 PM   #7
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I could buy a few boxes from a feed store each week just on my school lunch money...

Now I would need a Red Lobster tab worth of dough to buy a box of shells... And the waitress' tip too...

brent
Old May 30, 2011, 02:31 PM   #8
oneounceload

Supply and demand - simple enough.

Ammo makers typically make one production run a year on small gauge stuff and base that run on past data. Once it is gone, it is gone - if demand exceeds available supply, then scarcity causes the prices to jump.

410 is the cheapest reload in shotshell and one of the cheapest period in that regard
Old May 31, 2011, 12:55 AM   #9
TxGun

lamarw,

Looks like you did a real nice job cleaning up that old H&R. Good guns for the money.
Old May 31, 2011, 01:20 AM   #10
lamarw

Thank You, It was a fun one evening project. The good bones were there for a a solid gun. It just needed some TLC.
Old May 31, 2011, 08:45 AM   #11
BigJimP

All this talk about the .410 ....so I put the .410 loader in place over the weekend ...and loaded up several hundred shells...in a couple of hours ...

and now today its going to rain / and screw up my day at the range ...but I'm ready ....