The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 14, 2007, 11:07 PM   #1
H&R088

Mossberg muzzleloader

Does anyone have any experience with this gun? I'm seriously considering this gun because it is so versatile. However I've read only one report on it. The guy said it blasted him in the face through the ejection port.
Old November 15, 2007, 07:51 PM   #2
arcticap

More people have asked than there are responses, but I've heard people say that they work. And they probably shoot good, but there might be some extra cleaning involved depending on how many shots are taken, due to more moving action parts, and I wonder whether or not the firing pin can get sticky over time from fouling residue. I don't recall hearing about how difficult they are to recap inside the breech, or whether they have a removable breechplug for easier cleaning.
A CVA Wolf break-action costs about $140 at Walmart and it received many high marks. And there's also been some good accuracy reports about the CVA Buckhorn which costs about $99 or so.
So there's alternatives that may have more muzzle loading compatiblity & ease. But the most important thing in the end is reliability. A Mossberg should be able to do the job.

http://thehighroad.org/showthread.ph...light=mossberg
Old November 16, 2007, 12:21 AM   #3
H&R088

Thanks for the reply.

The main thing I am concerned about is gas leaking back through the primer pocket and hitting me in the eyes. In fact, this is a concern with many of the designs, not just mossberg. I guess it depends on how tight the primer fits in its pocket. In the mossberg manual it says that the primer is held in by gravity while loading. That sounds too loose to seal.
Old November 19, 2007, 11:11 AM   #4
biermkr

I have one and they work just fine. No problem with blowback, bp or otherwise.
It uses the same primer as a shotgun shell. The breech plug is not removable so cleaning is as a standard cap lock or flint lock for the barrel. The action is very simple to disassemble and give a good cleaning. I usually do this with my Mossy after all the hunting seasons are over when I put the gun away for the winter.
So it gets two really good cleanings a year. Hope this helps!
Old November 19, 2007, 10:54 PM   #5
H&R088

Thanks a lot. I'll probably get the Mossberg then.

More replies and reports on accuracy would be welcome.