The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 17, 2014, 04:07 PM   #76
totaldla

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahunua001

50% higher than it was when? 2009? 9mm can easily be found for $11 a box, when I bought my first 9mm in 2010 I was paying $10 for remanufactured ammo.

GunBot is your friend - spend some time on it. Unless you do in-store-pickup in Missoula, Montana, you can't get the cheapest junk for $11/50. [Selway] Otherwise you pay $9 - $13 for shipping.
Old July 18, 2014, 09:05 PM   #77
Nick_C_S

The weekly trip to my LGS for powder

Did my weekly stand-in-line thing this morning at my LGS - to see what powder may have come in on their shipment.

The only pistol powder was Titegroup and 800x. And only a few pounds of each. I don't use either.

They also had a smattering of rifle stuff. I don't pay attention to them but I do remember IMR 4064. 4064 seems fairly abundant - must be useless
Old July 19, 2014, 09:28 PM   #78
5whiskey

Quote:
50% higher than it was when? 2009? 9mm can easily be found for $11 a box, when I bought my first 9mm in 2010 I was paying $10 for remanufactured ammo.
It wasn't very long ago that WWB 9mm could be found at Walmart for $14 per 100. That's right, 14 cents a round. That wasn't ages ago, it was in 2007.
Old July 24, 2014, 03:45 PM   #79
sig220mwxxxx

Like I said in an earlier post on this subject, I am able to find components because of the way the outlet I use conducts business. Last year however, they were having more trouble getting supplies and in place of imr 4064 I substituted accurate 4064. I had read on this website advice from another poster that he had tried it. I did and it worked as he had indicated. Where I buy now has imr 4064 again and now I have both imr and accurate 4064. What I learned from this is that I should research this stuff, listen to advice and try other components when my usual choice is not available.

Like the old saying goes "there is more than one way to skin a cat".

Meanwhile in better times, stock up. After the primer shortage of the mid 90s I learned to buy a couple of hundred primers each time I went to a place that had components. You don't have to go crazy with your buying just think ahead and you won't have to spend a great deal of money at once.
Old July 25, 2014, 04:49 PM   #80
Nick_C_S

The weekly trip to my LGS for powder

Did my weekly stand-in-line thing this morning at my LGS - to see what powder may have come in on their shipment.

The only pistol powder was IMR 4227 - of which I have no use.

It seems, on the rifle side, if you hunt elephant or have a 50-Cal machine gun - you're doing fine. And on the pistol side, if you have a 460XVR w/ 14" bbl, you're doing just fine. Everything else is in short supply.

I kinda wish the manufacturers would divert their production elsewhere. I wanna just yell at 'em: "Stop making the slow stuff!!!"