The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 24, 2013, 09:23 AM   #1
hawkeye10

1187 feeding problem.

My friend has a Remington 1187 12 gauge and it will not feed the last round. Let's say you load three rounds the first two will feed fine but not the third. It's always the the last round that will not feed. I thought I would post this problem and see if you guys have had a similar experience and could offer a solution. Don
Old May 24, 2013, 09:43 AM   #2
jmr40

Barrel length, type of ammo? The 11-87's often work better with more powerful ammo. Some of the very light field loads don't function as well, especially from shorter barrels. In fact anything shorter than 26" is specifically designed only for heavy magnum loads.

If always the last round you could have a weak magazine spring.
Old May 24, 2013, 10:28 AM   #3
PetahW

I would also suspect the magazine spring, and test it via removing the magazine cap & circular spring retainer, depress the front end of the magazine spring then insert a 2-1/2" long wood dowel (with an OD the same as the mag tube's ID), to compress the front end of the spring a shell length toward the rear; reinstall the cap and load 'er up fully for a test.

Old May 24, 2013, 11:37 AM   #4
4V50 Gary
Staff

It could be the magazine spring. Check if it's kinked somewhere.

It could be the shell latch. Check if it has a burr, is rough or damaged.

Also, look at the carrier. Is it too high (not down all the way)? If so, it prevents the last shell from exiting the magazine tube.

Also check the interceptor latch. That's the pivoting arm inside the left side (shooter view) of the receiver. Check if it's broken or if the spring is bad.
Old May 24, 2013, 01:56 PM   #5
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

My guess is that it is a weak magazine spring, too, since it passes the first rounds through it. If it is, you can take the spring out, and give it a bit of a stretch at its middle, but just a small amount, then try it out.
Old May 24, 2013, 07:37 PM   #6
Virginian

If it only holds 2 in the magazine, and the second one won't feed, it may well be an interceptor issue. Feed latch holds the first one and interceptor holds back the next. If the trigger group was assembled wrong, it won't actuate the interceptor properly.
Old May 24, 2013, 08:18 PM   #7
hawkeye10

Thanks guy's. I talked with my friend a few minutes ago and he is going to check the magazine spring out. Don