The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old July 18, 2009, 08:02 PM   #1
greywalker

need parts for hopkins and allen .32 revolver

Does anyone know where I might obtain parts for a H+A .32 XL revolver- I have one that I picked up for about 30 bucks that is in sorry shape..... numrich has pretty much nothing.....
Old July 25, 2009, 10:50 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

I doubt that you can ever find parts for that gun unless you can find another one and make one good one out of two. The gun is really not worth spending any time or money on; even in working condition they only bring $75 or so. Most gun shops won't take them in trade; even if they could sell them, the potential liability is too great.

The fact is that you have a $30 paperweight.

Jim
Old March 16, 2011, 08:11 PM   #3
gnutt

H&A Parts

I'm trying to find a hammer spring, v spring, main pin, and hammer screw for the Hopkins and Allen XL Double Action .32 If you are parting yours, please let me know and maybe we can make a deal.
Old March 17, 2011, 08:40 AM   #4
Magnum Wheel Man

fact is I collect these guns as well as others like it in the black powder cartridge era... & on guns like that, I only buy nice condition working guns... parts are tough to come by, often used parts are in worse condition than your current parts ( they often weren't hardened, or only thinnly surface hardened & made out of softer materials than current guns, so they wore fast if not properly cared for, or if used alot )... the good news... you only paid $30.00 for a parts gun... if you check Gun Broker & the likes, you can often find working guns for $75.00... if you really want one, buy one of those, & save your current one for parts for a $75.00 gun...
Old March 17, 2011, 12:29 PM   #5
Jack O'Conner

This shop has parts for just about everything. Ask for Becky:

Jack First Gun Shop - 605 343 8481

Jack (same name is purely a coincidence)
Old March 17, 2011, 09:02 PM   #6
JiminTexas

Try here
http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Default.aspx
Old March 20, 2011, 12:02 AM   #7
Gunplummer

Parts on these guns rarely interchange with out some work. Usually when you tell people what it will cost to make a part they leave thinking you are trying to rip them off. They are a little harder to come by than H&R's but are just as worthless. It is up to you if you want to spend the money.
Old March 20, 2011, 05:09 PM   #8
James K
Member In Memoriam

When I was younger and (if possible) dumber, I took in an old gun promising to make a needed part. I told the customer the gun was not worth the work, but he pleaded that it had sentimental value and he wanted it repaired in memory of his father, boo hoo. When he came in to pick up his gun, I gave him the invoice, which was for several hours labor. He told me to put the paper in a dark place, that the gun wasn't worth that (no more sentimental value BS!), and walked out.

I never made another part for a junker unless I got a big deposit up front.

Jim
Old March 21, 2011, 12:06 AM   #9
Scorch

I agree, Jim! I became the owner of several "sentimental value" firearms over the years, too. Nothing wrong with them other than most of them were cheap to begin with and then worn out.