The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 16, 2011, 04:56 PM   #1
IrishMonk

Beratta 1200FP

Hey all,
I finally got my first defense shotgun yesterday... I bought a pre ban Beretta 1200FP.
Some specs :
Semi-auto
recoil/inertia system ( supposed to be super fast )
20" barrel
6+1 or 5+1 capacity ( depending on ammo... 2 3/4" or 3" )
Only 6 3/4 lbs
Chrome lined bolt and bore
windage and elevation adjustable rear black leaf sight with beaded blade front sight ( seriously ? )

Anyway, I paid a pretty penny for this gun... hopefully it is a good one. I've never heard of this model... but it is in new condition, and I had to have it.
Anyone have or ever had this model ? any feedback would be appreciated.
I was curious as to why this is a "pre-ban" ?

Not my pic, but same gun...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1677.jpg (86.2 KB, 33 views)
Old March 16, 2011, 06:53 PM   #2
mete

It is basically a Benelli and in fact made by them . If you don't have take down instructions you could use the ones from the Benelli M1-90. Excellent gun .It might not like ' light target ' loads . Pre -ban ? Maybe the large mag.
Old March 16, 2011, 07:00 PM   #3
ohen cepel

Welcome!

I had one years ago, FAST gun! However, kicks hard (in my mind) and as mentioned didn't like real light loads, but it had to get real light for it to not eat them.

Mine would not work with the reduced recoil loads at all.

It is a very good gun. Only downside I think is that there are not a ton of aftermarket items for it. However, if you leave it stock that isn't an issue.

Only reason I sold mine was that a buddy wanted it more than I did and I realized that I wasn't training with it as much as I should if it was going to be my "go to" gun.

Enjoy!

NRA Life Benefactor Member
Old March 16, 2011, 10:24 PM   #4
StrongSideArmsInc

I have had one for 10 years and it has been with me my entire LEO career. I have thousands of rounds through mine and it has never jammed. I love this shotgun more than most other guns I own.

It does not like "tactical Loads" But any standard 2 3/4 or 3 inch will go bang.

I have a pistol grip stock on mine, and you could get it on yours. It will tame the recoil better. I can shoot 8 shots out of the gun in less than 3 seconds, while keeping them on a 5 gallon bucket at 15 yards.