The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 30, 2011, 10:35 PM   #1
vanallenrules

Questions about a Browning a-5 Shotgun

I joined the forum to have some questions answered about the shotgun I inherited from my Dad. It is a Browning a-5 light twelve. It says Browning automatic on the very bottom of the stock.
1)Does that mean its fully automatic?

2) Can this gun fire slugs?

3) How do I find out how old it is?

I plan on using the shotgun for personal protection.

4) Is it a reliable shotgun?

Thanks in advance for helping out a new member.
Old January 31, 2011, 08:41 AM   #2
jaguarxk120

Question one -- it is not fully automatic, it is a auto loader, one pull of the trigger and one shot, the gun will eject and reload a fresh shell and requires another pull of the trigger.

Question two-- short answer yes, long answer if you look on guns international web site there is a buck special barrel for sale right now 24 inches long with rifle sights, factory barrel

Question three---Go on the Browning web site and you can find the serial number listings and the year of manufacture.

Question four-- John Browning designed the A5 over 100 years ago, the gun was in production for 90 years or so, has been used for every type of hunting all over the world. Much more reliable than some of todays modern offerings.

The reason Browning stopped production of the A5 is the gun is made out of machined steel parts. And production cost were going sky high.

There is NO plastic injection moulded or alloy parts in the A5.
Old February 1, 2011, 10:30 PM   #3
bravo124

Couldn't of been answered any better !
Old February 5, 2011, 05:01 PM   #4
jrothWA

Look at top right side of barrel...

there will be "*" asterisks, indicating the choke,
* Full
** Mod
*** Imp Cyl
**** Cylinder no choke
Standard "Forster" type slugs can be fired thru the above chokes, but accucracy will suffer the tighter you go.

On the left side at the receiver junction should be an "oval" with the numbers

XX/XX, first pair indicate gauge, second is chamber, 65 2 - 9/16", 70: 2-3/4", or 76: 3"

Enjoy!
Old February 5, 2011, 05:41 PM   #5
oneounceload

Check out Proofhouse.com for dating
Old February 5, 2011, 06:52 PM   #6
jackpine

Just have a qualified individual look over that piece first before you count on that old shotgun for your own protection. There great guns just some have not been cared for well and you don't want it to take a dump on you when you have a "goblin" in your sights.
Old February 9, 2011, 11:28 AM   #7
vanallenrules

thanks

for all the info guys. I was also wondering what brand of shells I should purchase or does it matter. I have been told that the shotgun has only been fired once. I will be taking it to professional down the road to be checked out before the zombies attack.
Old February 9, 2011, 11:45 AM   #8
Saltydog235

Personal Defense???

I hope for the sake of that fine old gun you aren't thinking about cutting the stock and barrel down for a HD gun. Yeah, there are millions of the things out there and probably not a better shotgun ever made but I cringe like fingernails on a chalkboard when I even think about someone cutting one of them up.

I saw one at a local gun range that "Bubba" had inherited from his "grandpappy" that he'd cut down to the pistol grip and shortened the barrel to right in front of the cap. Dern thing was a Blonde Belgium Sweet 16, talk about dumbassery.

Oh, and as to a round for home defense, a 2 3/4" #5 high brass is as good as it gets in the tight confines IMO. Others may disagree but whomever gets the directed round is going to have lead poisoning to a major degree with some seriously wrecked innards.

Last edited by Saltydog235; February 9, 2011 at 04:37 PM.
Old February 9, 2011, 01:10 PM   #9
jaguarxk120

Grandpappy is spining in his grave.
Old February 9, 2011, 04:07 PM   #10
silvercorvette

Quote:
I hope for the sake of that fine old gun you aren't thinking about cutting the stock and barrel down for a HD gun. Yeah, there are millions of the things out there and probably not a better shotgun ever made but I cringe like fingernails on a chalkboard when I even think about someone cutting one of them up.

I saw one at a local gun range that "Bubba" had inherited from his "grandpappy" that he'd cut down to the pistol grip and shortened the barrel to right in front of the cap. Dern thing was a Blonde Belgium Sweet 16, talk about dumbassery.

Please don't do anything to harm that gun for home defense you would be better off with a double barrel or Remington 870 with folding stock like in the pictures.

I don't want or need another shotgun before you hurt that gun allow me to make some kind of offer to work out a deal where you can trade it for a new gun with enough money to buy a large supply of ammo. Browning long barrel guns can be used for home defense but a shorter barrel would be more practical in a confined space. keep the browning for hunting or shooting clay targets and buy a short barrel gun for defense. Or if you can't afford to buy a second gun sell it to someone.

In all honesty I really would rather see someone else on this forum get this gun if it turns out you would rather get a gun better suited for home defense, but think of me as a last resort if all else fails and you have exhausted all other options.