The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old March 31, 2014, 07:43 AM   #26
Skans

Quote:
Why do the navy Seals use the sig p226 in 9mm
Do they? Is Sig p226 what they use exclusively? Is this true, or has anyone actually confirmed this? I have no idea - I'm not a Navy Seal and I don't know anyone who is.

But, even if the Navy Seals use a Sig p226 in 9mm, what difference does it make? They don't make the decision on what guns they are going to use - some bureaucrat dictates what equipment they are to use. It's not like our government bureaucrats spare no expense picking the right tools for the job based on a vote of what men in the field want.

On the other hand, we are free men (and women). Unlike Navy Seals, we get to choose what gun or guns we want to own and use (for now, anyway). Because we are free! We can choose to own guns far nicer than what some bureaucrat dictates. Buy the best gun you can for your intended purpose and the Navy Seals will envy you for not having to carry some odd duck that some bureaucrat told them they have to carry.

You can still envy their training; but I doubt they get to go into the World's Gun Store and choose their own equipment.
Old March 31, 2014, 08:33 AM   #27
HKFan9

More "elite" units around the world seem to use Sigs and 1911's more so than the perfection of Glock. SEALs do have a .45 option they recently ditched the MK23 for the HK45c Tactical. I am sure different groups and guys can select different guns but the 226 was the standard issue supposedly. A lot of Federal agencies use Sig, even ditched Glock to go with Sig.

I like Glocks but I do not think they are the end all be all, and generally the military requires a manual safety.

I love the 1911 platform and even though people call it old and outdated, it didn't stop MARSOC from adopting the new Colt 1911 designed for them, FBI HRT, Special Forces, LAPD SWAT all from using a 1911. I would guess these guys all shoot and train more than your standard beat cop carrying a Glock.

I own a Glock and used to own two others, I am not ragging on them... but they are just one choice out of many.

I work with two former Green Berets who both carried 1911's. Both of them stated if you draw a handgun to save your life, a whole bunch of other things went wrong.
Old March 31, 2014, 10:18 AM   #28
Sgt127

I have a very good friend in the gun industry. He makes gun parts alot of the Special Ops guys are using, and, he hangs out with them to get feedback.

A few interesting things we have talked about. In the current campaigns in the middle east, handguns are being used considerably more than in most other conflicts. Lots of door to door fighting, room clearing etc. In some ways, they are performing some "police" type functions.

The old doctrine of shooting double taps is out. Multiple rounds per center mass, like 5 rounds per target.

A 9mm recoils less, shoots faster and carries more rounds. A 9mm is perfectly acceptable and, apparently in thier way of thinking, as effective, or at least close to .40 or .45.

Specifically the Sig P226. Its a tough accurate gun with a good track record. You may find a gun that does one thing better, or worse, but, as a whole, what more do you need from a handgun?

Alot of individuals also like the Glock 19. The big selling point of the Glock is that its as fully enclosed as a handgun can be. Less places for sand and dirt to get into the gun.

I think alot of us overthink the mindset of the guys using the equipment. Many of them are not really gun guys. Its just a tool. If the P226 is reliable and accurate, thats it. They will adapt to the tools they are provided. Based on thier skill and determination, they, and the weapon they are issued, will be exceptionally formidable. But, the actual weapon is an almost trivial part of the equation.