The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old June 27, 2013, 03:48 PM   #26
Panfisher

A few years ago I would have scoffed at the idea of an AR15 making a good HD weapon. Then I drank the Kool-aid and bought one. A good quality AR is an awesome HD weapon, there are plenty to choose from and getting easier to find every day. Put a good optic if you wish such as a ACOG or Eotech, or my preference is a 1-4.5 scope and feed it good ammo. Practice and be comfortable in both its and your capabilities. There are a lot of factory ammo choices from the funky labeled Zombie Max to varmit to deer hunting loads for the .223 Rem. Pick one it likes and keep some mags loaded and ready. I personally don't like the looks and feel of the 30 rounders but they are nice to have loaded and ready should you need it. Shoot it regularly and keep it clean. I chose a Remington R15 and love it, but there are a lot of perfectly good ones out there to be hand.

Should you prefer something more mundane anything from a lever action rifle, to a good shotgun will work wonders on a bad guy. The weapon is good but the operator of said weapon is the key. Put a ruger 10/22 in a good shooters hands and it will do a lot of damage in a hurry. I chose the AR platform partly because my wife is a Army vet and has zero problems with handling and functioning of the weapon should I not be around. Combine that with low recoil, good terminal performance and cheap enough to shoot that practice won't bankrupt you and I couldn't ask for anything more.
Old June 29, 2013, 12:15 PM   #27
RC20

My current choice is a bit odd but worth a thought.

RRA ATH in an 18 inch barrel without the flash suppressor (I think NY style).

Gives you a very nice target rifle, reasonably short and RRA has a great trigger and can get the chrome bolt group for easier cleaning.

You can upgrade the stock and it has good rails where you need them but also a great hand grip. 3/4 MOA guarantee with match grade ammo
Old July 5, 2013, 02:02 PM   #28
cetanner

I have an AR15 built and sold to me by Palmetto State Armory (PSA). I think it is great and would recommend you consider them. They have a website and sell directly through their three stores in South Carolina. Good luck.
Old July 8, 2013, 05:58 AM   #29
Dog Chaser

Dog Chaser

I use a Mini 14 with an EOTech 512 sight and 70 Gr Boat tail Hollow points. Coyotes don't like it and if need ever be , I am sure I could defend my home with it. Only have about $1200 in it . It has 18 inch barrel. It does everything I want it to and I only like Wooden rifles.
Old July 10, 2013, 04:22 AM   #30
Justice06RR

Gargus, If you want a good reliable semiauto, I think it comes down between the AR15 or AK47 rifles.

You will need to go with a known manufacturer that produces a quality rifle. If I were in your shoes, it would be between:

Colt6920 in 5.56/223 (AR15)

- or -

Arsenal SLR-95 7.62x39 (AK47)

Both are excellent rifles that are around $1k. You will have to choose which caliber you want based on your preference and needs. The 7.62 will have more punch and cheaper ammo, while the 5.56 is more accurate has a longer range. There are also other calibers for each rifle, but its recommended to stick with one that is easy to find and more common.

Good luck in your choice. There are plenty of options but those 2 types will narrow it down for you while keeping it easy to customize if needed.
Old July 10, 2013, 02:07 PM   #31
Gbnk82

It depends on the amount you want to spend..if you have around 750 you can get yourself a nice AR that is very accurate has lots of available ammo and be custimzed to fit any persons preference/need...hkwever if you want something that is reliable can be a all purpose gun and under say 400 then it is hard to beat the sks plus if you feel the need to have a pistol grip or other accesories for it there is still a decent aftermarket for them..but in its original form it is a fairly accurate and extremely reliable firearm..

Or you could always buy the sks now and save some up some money and get a nice AR down the road and have the best of both worlds..thats the route i went atleast