The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 10, 2015, 10:16 PM   #51
Oldshooter60

Taurus TCP738... Once I got it repaired at the factory (they had installed an undersized firing pin retaining pin during manufacture)

It fit well in a galco tuckable (and in a pocket holster) and cycled everything well

The downside... Magazines are essentially unavailable

The sights are worthless...all black and essentially undetectable... But it is a pocket pistol...

Upside... $185
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (34.5 KB, 35 views)
Old February 10, 2015, 10:33 PM   #52
deerslayer303

I just got a new Taurus mag from Midway USA for my 738. As far as the front signt, scotch bright, white nail polish, followed by whatever color your eyes pick up best, for me its fluorescent Orange.
Old February 10, 2015, 10:42 PM   #53
AustinTX

Best in theory/design: Kahr P380

Most reliable in actuality: Ruger LCP
Old February 10, 2015, 11:52 PM   #54
Mosin44az

Pocket .380s? Much painful experience here.

Have owned:

Glock 42: Had weird hangups, and mag pop-outs in the pocket.
SIG P 238 (2): Both were Pretty, smooth, accurate, but finicky.
Ruger LCP: Not pleasant to shoot, long trigger, no sights (1st edition)
Smith Bodyguard .380: Crappy trigger, crappy gun actually
Kahr P380: Beautiful in every way EXCEPT heartbreakingly unreliable
Kel-tec P3AT: Junk. Also painful to shoot.

The only one I still have: LCP. Reliability is the most important thing.
Old February 11, 2015, 12:59 AM   #55
AustinTX

Quote:
Kahr P380: Beautiful in every way EXCEPT heartbreakingly unreliable
Agreed. It would be so perfect if it just worked.

I'm not going to be an early adopter, but perhaps the Beretta Pico will turn out to be reliable. Aside from a couple of problems in the very first batch, I'm starting to read positive reviews. I have some quibbles with the Pico's design, though the build quality and fit and finish are superb. The LCP, unfortunately, is just a poor fit for my big hands/long fingers. The Pico is not amazing in that regard either, but it fits a little better. (I also want a pocket .380 that is specifically approved for use with the extra hot .380 loads, like Underwood and Buffalo Bore, which the Pico is.)
Old February 11, 2015, 06:58 PM   #56
fastlane

Limited experience with 380 but my P238 fits my front paints pocket. It has been very reliable.
Old February 11, 2015, 09:21 PM   #57
tennsooner

P238 all the way for me. Reliable and a pleasure to shoot.
Old February 12, 2015, 11:11 AM   #58
CZ9Joe

I went for a Kahr cw380 to have as kind of a summer pocket gun. I absolutely love the size and the trigger on it and I'm very accurate with it. It was my first and only Kahr pistol and unfortunately it has given me a lot of problems at the range even after the suggested 200 round break in period. I sent it off to Kahr recently to have them address the failure to feed and failure to eject issues and I'm hoping they can tune it up nicely and send me back a reliable pistol that I can have some faith in.
I previously had a 100% reliable LC9 as a pocket gun and I enjoyed it but the trigger was driving me nuts. I have a decent gun collection and after shooting pistols with much better triggers I would always end my range visit practicing with the LC9 since I was carrying it so often. At 10 yards I was barely making contact with the paper for the first couple of magazines because it would just take me a while to "relearn" the LC9 trigger. I realize I would probably never be using it at 10 yards in a defense situation but even so I felt the need for something with a trigger similar to other guns that I shoot often. I may sell the Kahr when I get it back and get an LC9S (if they are really a drastic improvement over the LC9) or an XD-S instead.
Old February 12, 2015, 11:28 AM   #59
AustinTX

Quote:
I may sell the Kahr when I get it back and get an LC9S (if they are really a drastic improvement over the LC9)
They are. The LC9S's trigger is terrific.

Sorry to hear about your Kahr troubles. All too common, unfortunately.
Old February 12, 2015, 12:52 PM   #60
Cheapshooter

Quote:
They are. The LC9S's trigger is terrific.
Yes. I was very impressed with the first LC9s I felt. If I didn't already have a perfectly reliable, accurate CM9 I would be seriously considering the Ruger. Especially the new LC9s Pro because with it they corrected another mistake, and got rid of the useless manual safety.
But, those aren't 380's, and where my CM9 works OK in some pockets, the LC9 is a little bigger, and would conceal well in even fewer.
So, my "pocket 380" is still my sweetheart, Elsie Pea.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old February 12, 2015, 02:02 PM   #61
willr

The one thing that turns me off on any semi-auto is its not staying open after the final round from the mag. While Ruger may have a quality edge, it fails my criterion.
willr
Old February 12, 2015, 02:13 PM   #62
mavracer

Quote:
the LC9 is a little bigger
I was suprised at how little difference there is, It seams like the LC9 is quite a bit bigger until you get them side by side.
It's only .3" taller in the grip but it also holds another round. I just sold my PM9 because it's not enough smaller.
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old February 12, 2015, 03:03 PM   #63
CZ9Joe

Well, just got my cw380 back from Kahr. They replaced the extractor, the extractor rear pin, and the factory magazine. They reworked the extractor port, mag well, and the slide stop. I'm off to the range tomorrow and hoping I have a trouble free little pocket pistol now I'd like to be able to trust it and keep it in the collection.
Old February 13, 2015, 06:42 AM   #64
Ibmikey

I personally cannot get by Rugers warning labels, flags and levers that muck up the design. My favorite carry is a Star DK .380 but unobtainable on the open market, a Sig P238 (380) or P938 (9 mm) or Bodyguard ( mine has always fired every time it was asked to) for a modern carry pistol.
Old February 13, 2015, 10:19 AM   #65
Viper99

LCP for me. Put it in my pocket and even I forget is there.
Old February 13, 2015, 11:30 AM   #66
YankeeIronSights

I recommend the Ruger LCP with side mounted Laserlyte laser unit. It fits everywhere, can use extended magazines, if needed, and goes bang every time.. It is light and simple in design. Ruger has a new model with dot sights and skeletonized trigger. It is not a range gun but will always be accurate at short self defense distances.
Old February 13, 2015, 01:41 PM   #67
huskybiker

I'm very happy with my little M&P 380. Of course, I'm an M&P kinda guy.
Old February 13, 2015, 01:54 PM   #68
TahoeDust

I shot a bodyguard and it was very very uncomfortable. I vote a LCP, or even better a 9mm Shield.
Old February 13, 2015, 02:01 PM   #69
zombietactics

Quote:
... I personally cannot get by Rugers warning labels, flags and levers that muck up the design. ...
There are no such things on the LCP.

The Gen1 LCPs had atrocious sights, BTW
The Gen2 LCPs have usable sights, and a somewhat better trigger.
Old February 13, 2015, 02:01 PM   #70
TJMehaf

P238 for me but I'm going to add a P938 to the stable soon.
Old February 13, 2015, 07:51 PM   #71
rickmelear

Big fan of the Taurus TCP, and it's the only Taurus I like. It's small, light and has poor sites but it functions flawlessly.
Old February 14, 2015, 01:00 AM   #72
Mak One

I didn't like my Diamondback at first but after a trip to the manufacturer for repairs we're getting the kinks worked out and I'm starting to like it.

I also like the LCP.
Old February 14, 2015, 02:41 PM   #73
osbornk

Quote:
Big fan of the Taurus TCP, and it's the only Taurus I like. It's small, light and has poor sites but it functions flawlessly.
I saw one when I bought my S & W sd9ve two weeks ago when it was on sale for $179. I should have bought it while I was there. I plan on getting one if they go on sale again for that or a better price. DARN!
Old February 14, 2015, 02:57 PM   #74
SpareMag

I am voing "old school" and say the "best" .380 is the one you can rely on anytime, under any conditions, anywhere.

My KelTec P3AT has never failed when asked to go bang, even when unattended for 4 months and was used to euth a racoon that was hit by a car and not killed.

It may not be sub-MOA at 1500 meters, but that is not its purpose or role. If I need to aim the KT, I have the wrong weapon, and I am DEFINITELY in the wrong place!!!
Old February 14, 2015, 03:03 PM   #75
SpareMag

The Kahr P380 is great, but it needs its breakin. Mine took not the standard Kahr 200 rounds, but 600. I felt the change as soon as it sorted itself out. The gun finally felt RIGHT. It has been great ever since. But it requires dedication.