The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old September 14, 2004, 08:32 PM   #1
VaughnT

Ever train w/these guys?

I've been moaning and groaning about not having anywhere to get more pistol training, places that didn't cost and arm/leg or require long time off, and the whole time, these guys are just right around the corner.

www.spartansc.com

Any thoughts? Website looks good/professional, and the credentials listed aren't too shabby. Prices look to be around $150-250 for the weekend courses, not including ammo, of course.

I'll be heading down that way in Oct or Nov or Dec, as work and money allows. Maybe for their Urban Survival Shooting course, or the Tactical handgun course. Maybe, even, for their Carbine course, but I haven't bought my AR, yet.

If ya know something, holler. Otherwise, standby for my report!
Old September 16, 2004, 09:15 AM   #2
dawg23

Vaughn:

Haven't heard of them, but that doesn't mean they aren't good. I did look at their instructor biographies on the link you posted, and they all seem to have come from the same background - South Carolina Criminal Justice Assoc.

Any training is probably better than no training. Having said that, I'd broaden my search a little (to Tennessee, Georgia and North Carolina). Personally I'd prefer to drive an extra 100 miles if I could find "the best" - and I'm still not saying the Spartan folks aren't the best. Just saying you need to do a fair amount of research to ensure that you get the best value for the time and money you plan to invest.

For example, here's a link to the instructor qualifications for Yeager's group at Tactical Response. Much more diversity than what I saw at your Spartan link
http://www.warriormindset.com/instructor.htm

They are headquartered in Tennessee but travel extensively to conduct training and are well known all over the US and Europe as first class trainers. You'll find a LOT of positive reviews of Tactical Response on Glock Talk.

Blackwater, in North Carolina also seems to enjoy a good reputation.
Old September 19, 2004, 11:18 PM   #3
Jeff Gonzales

2005 Schedule

We will be conducting classes in Charlotte, NC next year that might be of interest to you. For more information about our schedule join the mailing list or just keep coming back until you find it. Should be up next month.

Later,
Old September 21, 2004, 06:56 PM   #4
VaughnT

Jeff, feel free to add me to your mailing list. Charlotte isn't that far away, and I have a few friends up there that might also be interested.

I'm in if you'll have me.
Old September 24, 2004, 08:43 PM   #5
Jeff Gonzales

Vaughn,

Thanks for wanting to join our mailing list. Please visit our website and enter your email in the mailing list box. Pretty simple and takes a few mintues. take care and stay safe.

Later,
Old September 25, 2004, 06:55 PM   #6
VaughnT

Jeff.

Done.

Thanks.
Old September 28, 2004, 08:31 AM   #7
Jeff Gonzales

Excellent, hopefully we will see you next year in Charlotte.