The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 19, 2014, 11:29 AM   #26
Madcap_Magician

Because, I was wondering, under what circumstances might we use such a weapon?
Old November 19, 2014, 06:46 PM   #27
James K
Member In Memoriam

Hi, Skans,

Maybe the timing can be "adjusted" for one brand of ammo and primer, but can it be "adjusted" for all possible brands/types? Remember, we are dealing in milliseconds; that slide can begin to move after the other hammer has fallen, so the idea that the hammer can't contact the firing pin is beside the point.

The only way to find out would be to buy one of those guns and wring it out with thousands of combinations of ammunition. Honestly, I am not planning to do that and, unless you do, I guess the point will remain moot.

Jim
Old November 20, 2014, 05:34 AM   #28
Microgunner

I don't believe the designers /manufacturer ever intended to arm anyone. This was probably an exercise in 'can it be done ' that began after a night of drinking.
Old November 20, 2014, 09:18 AM   #29
Skans

Quote:
Honestly, I am not planning to do that and, unless you do, I guess the point will remain moot.
At some price, I'd buy one and test it out....nowhere near $5,000 though!
Old November 20, 2014, 11:17 AM   #30
Microgunner

I'd like to own one too, because look how interesting everyone finds the concept.
Old February 6, 2015, 09:57 AM   #31
Skans

Quote:
Here is what I am thinking. Both hammers fall. But mechanically, it is impossible to be sure both fall at exactly the same time. It might seem like simultaneously, but we are dealing in milliseconds here.
I just saw a close-up of the hammer(s). It's actually one hammer, not two. It must fire simultaneously or not at all. Does it require a pull of both triggers to drop the hammer? I don't know.

Anyway, I also saw that the frames are made in Italy. So, my thought is that either Tanfoglio or Beretta is actually making the frames......but just don't want to have their name on it for whatever reason. Are there any other Italian pistol makers that could pull this off?
Old February 6, 2015, 04:17 PM   #32
Sharkbite

There was a company at SHOT last year doing the same thing with an AR
Old February 6, 2015, 06:07 PM   #33
AirCool65

Quote:
I don't believe the designers /manufacturer ever intended to arm anyone. This was probably an exercise in 'can it be done ' that began after a night of drinking.
I was thinking the same thing.
Old February 6, 2015, 10:55 PM   #34
Venom1956

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSnyQV5pBKM

Look @ this especially 2.15 it shows the right barrel seemingly shoot alot faster then the left. perhaps the left is venting gases due to lock up or just less powder in the round.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old February 7, 2015, 10:42 AM   #35
Skans

Very cool video! To me, it looked like the shots from each barrel were pretty well synchronized. Only in one of the frames (overhead view) did it look like the left bullet left the bore a tiny fraction faster on the left than the right, but this is in ultra slow motion. Not enough to make a difference.

What I did notice is that the gun has quite a bit of muzzle rise. Way more than my Desert Eagle 44 magnum. I wonder what one cartridge two 45acp cartridges would be equivalent to?
Old February 7, 2015, 02:10 PM   #36
Venom1956

yeah I noticed as you said most clear the tubes pretty close together. they also seem to impact the target @ similar speeds and times aswell. I am curious about the recoil as well. The shooter seems to have a very relaxed stance at the elbows and wrist which probably make the recoil look more extreme. Kinda like the SSA letting it roll up after its fired.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old February 7, 2015, 02:37 PM   #37
JohnKSa
Staff

I handled one of these pistols at the DSC convention last month. The hammer is a single unit so there's no way for one hammer to fall by itself.

You can pull one trigger or both, it makes no difference, As I understand it the triggers are linked together in some way so pulling one, or the other, or both will all have the same effect.

There could be very small differences in the firing behavior of one barrel vs. the other based on small differences in firing pin length and other minor differences between one upper and the other, but the differences should be very small.
Quote:
Groups the size of a mere watermelon at 25 yards?
Regulating two fixed barrels on a rifle to shoot to the same point of aim is a difficult job requiring a skilled gunsmith. Regulating two floating barrels in a locked breech design pistol to shoot to the same point of aim is going to be even more difficult. Fortunately, I doubt anyone is buying this gun for competition or target shooting.

That said, I think that if you loaded only one "side" of the pistol, you could probably get pretty good groups.
Old February 7, 2015, 03:09 PM   #38
peggysue

My novelty Taurus View was only $350 and is already discontinued. $5000 it too rich for me for a toy gun. Now if I win the Powerball today that is a different story.
Old February 8, 2015, 09:36 AM   #39
peggysue

Didn't win the Powerball but it rolled over so I can have a chance at $450 million
Old February 8, 2015, 05:32 PM   #40
Rembrandt

I've had a chance to see one at a gun show....look to be very well built and engineered. Price was in the $4000 range.
Old February 8, 2015, 06:45 PM   #41
James K
Member In Memoriam

The note on the video says the guns are made in Italy.

Maybe they work perfectly, but to what purpose? The advantage of hitting an enemy with two bullets is (IMHO) more than offset by the bulk, mass, recoil and muzzle blast.

I wonder if anyone has played with duplex loads in .45 ACP; that might be a more feasible way of putting two bullets in the target.

Jim