The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 3, 2012, 01:42 PM   #1
chasgrips45

Spring or no Spring

I own a pre model 10. 4" barrel , I think it`s an old police duty gun. I`ve noticed that on the hammer shroud ,(believe that`s what it`s called) the firing pin itself is not spring loaded with that really small spring that i`ve seen on some of my older Smiths. The firing pin still comes into firing position when the trigger is pulled. I don`t know whether or not this old gun had this small spring . The fact is ,it doesn`t have this spring. I hope I `ve made myself clear in my description. Just what is the purpose of this spring? the gun still fires with out it.
Old May 3, 2012, 03:04 PM   #2
alland

Some of the Smiths have the spring, some don't. I'm not familiar enough with them to know for sure when they have them and when they don't.

I believe they keep the firing pin pivoted down so the tip does not rub the firing pin hole in the breech face.

I remember one without the spring that had a worn firing pin. That was after many thousands of rounds. When we replaced the firing pin we added the spring.
Old May 3, 2012, 10:46 PM   #3
drail

Some have a spring and some don't. It doesn't matter. The pin is hinged so that it self aligns with the frame's pin hole. It it hits the hole a smidgeon off center no damage is done and the gun still works. The hole is funneled. If you're gonna mount the pin on the hammer it's probably the best way to do it.