The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old October 24, 2012, 12:32 PM   #1
lapetrarca53

Wondering about this Taurus model?

Yesterday, while in my LGS mentioning that I was thinking about getting a .22LR revolver, the guy behind the counter whips out an older Taurus that he just took in trade. The gun APPEARED to be in VERY good condition, except for the grips which, truth be told are not that bad but, are probably the worst part of the gun. I understand that's a cosmetic issue that can be easily addressed.

Anyway, he couldn't immediately find the model number but, he said it was a copy of an S&W Model 17. When I asked how much, he said he was going to inspect the gun and clean it up, and for me to call him this weekend for a price.

When I got home and Googled an S&W Model 17, there it was. The Taurus I'd just been looking at appeared to be a duplicate of the S&W.

As I said, it's an older gun but seems very well built and in good condition. Does anybody have ANY idea what model number it might be?

TIA!
Old October 24, 2012, 03:23 PM   #2
badge851

The Taurus is probably a model 94; see here..........
http://www.taurususa.com/product-det...adcrumbseries=
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.
Old October 24, 2012, 04:41 PM   #3
lee n. field

Quote:
As I said, it's an older gun but seems very well built and in good condition. Does anybody have ANY idea what model number it might be?

TIA!
Roll the cylinder out. The model number will be stamped on the frame inside the crane.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old October 24, 2012, 09:49 PM   #4
Budda

Should be a good shooter....pick it up. Secret is some S&W's were made in Brazil.
Old October 25, 2012, 05:14 AM   #5
CajunBass

Those old Taurus revolvers were good guns and looked great. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one.

Edited to add:

Quote:
The Taurus I'd just been looking at appeared to be a duplicate of the S&W.
Only externally. The internals are different. The Taurus uses a coil springs where Smith & Wesson uses leaf springs. Not to say one is better or worse, just that the Taurus is not a Smith & Wesson clone in the same sense a Ruger Blackhawk is not a Colt SAA clone. Similar, but not duplicates.
John 3:16 (NKJV)

Last edited by CajunBass; October 25, 2012 at 05:27 AM.
Old October 25, 2012, 05:22 AM   #6
Redhawk5.5+P+

Quote:
The Taurus I'd just been looking at appeared to be a duplicate of the S&W.
Same with Rossi. In fact I used a S&W hammer spring to lighten the trigger pull in my 461, it worked like a charm.

Last edited by Redhawk5.5+P+; October 25, 2012 at 05:31 AM.
Old October 27, 2012, 12:40 PM   #7
GP100man

Model 96.

Old October 27, 2012, 08:44 PM   #8
PTaylor

I've got a taurus model 94, so by experience, don't get it. Absolute junk...just like the other taurus' i've bought. It's got the heaviest double action trigger I've ever seen and was shooting so far to the left that when I adjusted the sights, It's almost hanging off the right edge of the frame. This is the second bad experience I've had with taurus and I promise you their won't be a third. Hope you read this before you buy it. Spend the extra cash and get a s&w. Just my $0.02
Old October 27, 2012, 09:32 PM   #9
RJay

Comparing a Model 94 Taurus to a S&W Model 17, sputter sputter, face turns red, breath is coming fast. He looks around for his Cat O nine tails, " this youngest needs a taste of the cat, tie him up to the flogging post, Oh the shame, the shame, comparing a Model 17 to any Taurus. sputter, sputter "
Old October 27, 2012, 11:22 PM   #10
Budda

*Roll eyes*
Old October 27, 2012, 11:24 PM   #11
9mm

Older model Taurus in 22cal? yeah buy it, I am looking for one myself, love the old wood grips on them and the look to the older ones.

I got a model 94 [see sig] 3k+ rounds very good. The double action is crazy but in single action it is on par with my S&W 617 @ glass breaking trigger 2.5lbs or so?
Old October 29, 2012, 05:09 AM   #12
artoo

Used to own a older Taurus 94. Sold it for a newer model 94.

The older model worked just fine, but I wanted a 94 with the 5inch barrel.

Went with a Taurus 990 as well.

The LGS claimed they dould not sell the 990 so I bought it at a reduced price.

Lucky me.

The gun cuts very small groups at 25 yards and all in the black.
Type of target used.
http://www.reloadbench.com/pdf/files/50yd%20NRA.pdf

If the 94 passes this:If the checklists are followed in what to look for prior to buying one cannot get into trouble.
Revolver Checkout Procedure
How to check the condition of a used revolver - YouTube
Buying a Used Handgun
Buying A Handgun
http://cheaperthandirt.com/blog/?p=1180

then get the gun.

If not a S&W 63 or 617 is a good bet.
Old October 29, 2012, 05:49 AM   #13
lapetrarca53

GP100man.....

That's the one. Felt very nice and, as I said, in pretty good shape.

Is that yours? Do you like it? Any pros or cons?

Seriously considering this one......
Old October 29, 2012, 02:04 PM   #14
Dakotan

First just let me just say that I am a Taurus HATER. Not mild dislike or indifference, hate. To say I’ve never been impressed by a Taurus product is a severe understatement. But I do know a good individual gun when I see one and, it seems, that there is an exception to every rule.
Several months ago I bought my first (and in the greatest likelihood, my last) Taurus firearm. It is the long discontinued (since 1998) Model 96 “Target Scout”; a dead ringer for a Smith and Wesson Model 17 K22 Masterpiece, right down to the Target Trigger and Hammer with pretty case coloring, adjustable sights, and nicely polished bluing. In fact, when I first saw it in the pawn shop’s case, I thought it was a Smith & Wesson K22 Masterpiece, the only immediate giveaway being the Taurus emblems in the grips, and the different rear sight design.
I’d been looking for a K22 for quite some time, but the ones in the offing had all been north of $750. SO… After a THOROUGH check-over, and a bit of haggling, I walked out with the 6 inch barreled Mod. 96 for the princely sum of $265 OTD, wondering what I could have possibly been thinking, and hoping I could get my money out of it if it was a dog.
I did a TON of internet research, and found that this is a rather sought after gun by those who know of it, and I was unable to find a bad review on this model by anyone…at all! Everyone that owned one raved about it.
A Taurus that had all positive comments?! It figures that the one winner that Taurus comes up would get discontinued!
After a first outing firing about 150 assorted rounds at targets of opportunity out to 50 yards, I can say that this K22 “clone” makes the grade in my book! It may not be a Smith & Wesson, but it tries really hard!!
The double action trigger pull approaches the smoothness and weight of a K22, and although the single action trigger pull is a pound or two heavier than a S&W, it breaks like a glass rod. Accuracy is outstanding even in my hands, and certainly holds better than I can.
The frame may not be as nicely polished as a Smith and Wesson, and the lockwork may not be the same design as a Smith & Wesson, but it mimics K-Frame dimensions exactly (even fits my k-frame holsters), and fools a lot of people! In fact, as well as this gun shoots and looks, I was having a hard time justifying the price for the K22 Masterpiece (although I later did!). I even shucked out the $$ for a Goncalo Alves Hogue grip for it!
The Smith & Wesson is definitely a better gun, no question. But for my (and I suspect many people’s) purposes (plinking and woods walking gun) is it $500 better?
Bottom line, if you can find a Taurus Model 96 for a decent price, and it passes the checkout tests, I can heartily recommend one!
As for any other Taurus…. Not so much. FWIW!

Last edited by Dakotan; October 29, 2012 at 02:11 PM.
Old October 29, 2012, 10:09 PM   #15
ThomasT

Quote:
Should be a good shooter....pick it up. Secret is some S&W's were made in Brazil.
October 24, 2012 04:41 PM
Taurus has never made S&W guns. Here is a breif history of the Taurus and Smith & Wesson affiliation.

http://www.taurususa.com/history.cfm

I had a model 96 I bought back in the early 90's, It was a fine shooting gun and I wish I had kept it. They are hard to find now.